Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: D coats plywood nuc.  (Read 8277 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
D coats plywood nuc.
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »
Just wanted to send out a big thanks to d Coates for his plywood nuc plans!!  I'm increasing my nuc production this year and wouldn't be able to afford the equipment without those ply nucs!!!!!
My cost per nuc seems to be about $5 per unit.
Much better than the cost of store bought nucs and that's before shipping costs!!!

Thanks again d Coates.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: D coats plywood nuc.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:00 pm »
Your very welcome!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:12:39 pm »
yep love them; handy and lite. keep a couple in my truck at all times  sho handy for swarms t00
to bee or not to bee

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:38 pm »
I agree.   Got carried away with them a few years back.  Now there are dozens laying all over the place in the basement and more out still in the woods.   Took no time to end up with way too many.   :-D

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
Same here.  I keep a stock of them in my shed and always have one in my truck during swarm season.  Thanks D Coates.
[img width= height= alt=DesiSmileys.com]http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4547.gif[/img]
James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:19 pm »
Wow. I didn't think one could have too many nucs!!!  I'm up to around 70 and still don't believe I have enough.
Guess we will see.   :-D
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:13 am »
I made several last year and made several with no bottoms. I made some separate screened bottom boards and simply cut some spare pine boards to size and didn't attach them. Now I have extra bodies for stacking (10 deep frames total stacked 5 on 5) to add upper brood box for easy splitting later in the year. I also made a simple division board with a hole cut in it. I can lay that on top of the dCoates nuc then stack an empty nuc body on that and insert a simple farm supply store quart sized poultry-style feeder with sugar syrup and then top that with a cover. Great internal feeding method.

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
Has anyone laid this basic design out in an 8-frame medium design? I'm going to do it unless someone already has a link or can send it to me.

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02:11 am »
I second the request for a 8 frame medium nuc layout!  I was looking at the Coats Plan yesterday and fiddling with the layout--wanted mediums.  An 8 frame would be perfect.  If anyone does prepare on, hopefully they will link it to the forum!!!

and THANKS in advance!
Gail

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:55:22 am »
With the current plans there is more than enough room that if you trim frames to 1.25" you can get 6 into the nuc box. I'm going to start running 1.25" for all my wooden frames. It's a simple way to squeeze a little bit more out of the equipment.

1.25" frame spacing

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:58 pm »
I modified some dimensions on the dcoates plans and Robo kindly put it on a cut sheet layout.  Can still get 4 nucs out of a sheet of 15/32 plywood.  Not sure when he's going to put it up on his website but I'm going to make a solid model so we can get some drawings made like the 5-frame deep.  Overall internal volume is slightly larger than the 5-frame deep and 8 medium frames has a little more comb area.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:05:02 pm »
I make them in 5 frame medium. 
If someone wants the dimensions just ask
Bailey

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »
Has anyone laid this basic design out in an 8-frame medium design? I'm going to do it unless someone already has a link or can send it to me.

Plans for the 8-Frame Medium Coates Nuc are available here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/

Thanks goes to David (DLMKA) for doing the adaptation and providing the measurements.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »
Great job on the plans Rob. :th_thumbsupup:

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »
I made quite a few of these and love them. I saw photos of this design in a 10 frame deep but can't find measurements anywhere. Does anyone have the measurements or a cut layout?

I was wondering what a sheet of plywood would yield? 3 deeps? 2 deeps & a medium?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:56:03 pm by S.Rummings »