Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drones  (Read 2653 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
drones
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »
we have drones here in my area!
checked a big hive 3 days ago and had alot of drones too young to fly but there there!
gonna be grafting sooner than i thought!
come on warm weather!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: drones
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
same here bailey ,checked 10 hives today and have drones in everyone with alot of caped drone cells.looking to do some grafting from one of my best hive.   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
Have not seen any drones here yet but was wondering how will this big cold front affect them if at all after this warm up that we have had down South?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:08:09 am »
vmmartin, most likely it won't affect a thing. If the hive still has adequate stores and the bad weather is not severe or prolonged they will keep building for spring.

It's interesting to me that some how the bees know long before I do that a flow is about to start and begin rearing brood including drones in preparation for it. I wonder what the signals are?? Day length? Some sort of unnoticed signal (by me anyway) from the plants like a certain scent or taste? Whatever it is the bees seem to pick up on it and gear up for the season...raising the population and spreading drones for swarm season. I'm sure some jump the gun to their detriment too.

All I know is that when the bees start getting ready, I better be getting ready!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:45:48 am »
Almost time to start making splits, likely within ten days depending on the weather.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:16:13 am »
I think im going to do a split on wednesday or thursday this week

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:00 am »
Scott. I agree with you about them knowing when it is about to start. I believe it is because they are infinitely more "in tune" with what is going on around them and that the "get ready" is designed into them so that they don't miss the flow. Kind of like those panda bears sensing something before the big earthquake. I saw something about it on the news the other day.  As usual, here we are trying to figure out bees. :-\

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »
to all of my northern friends, sorry in advance for this  :evil:

after all the confirmations of spring having begun to sprung around here all i can say is

ITS ON !!  WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :piano: :piano:

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »
Sure, rub it in.  Maybe I should take all my vacation time now and come down and give you guys some help...LOL :-D

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:12:34 pm »
its fun when we get together in the early season down here!
jp,bud,allen all came down during split season last year, it was great!

bailey

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:56:39 pm »
to all of my northern friends, sorry in advance for this  :evil:
bailey

I could be wrong about this, but don't the northern guys make up for your early start by bringing in more honey in the summer?  If this is about honey, who is doing better over all?   :evil:  :evil:
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh