Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WHAT ARE MY BEES TRYING TO TELL ME?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
WHAT ARE MY BEES TRYING TO TELL ME?
« on: June 02, 2005, 11:04:10 pm »
a little while ago, hive #2 had approx. 200 bees on the entrance way of the hive body, hive #1 about 80. this is the first time I've seen this many in the entrance way, looks like some were fanning.

any opinions as to what might be going on, or is this normal? my main concern is them forming up to swarm.

I've only had them since May 26th, so I'm learning, please bare with this nervous newbie.

ps: it's very warm here, probably around 90. also I have screen bottom boards, which should help with ventilation.

thnx
JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:31:56 pm »
I would give them some ventilation and if they continue don't worry about it.  They will fan and beard on the outside from now untilt he weather gets cool in the fall.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:48:40 pm »
another neebie here
I saw somthing pretty similar
loads of bees just sitting on the entrance board
did it for an hour or two then went back to normal activity
also, the first orientation flights were pretty wild to watch
just a whole lot of new stuff to see
I think the bottom line is a new package (thats what I have) isn't likely to swarm so just sit back and watch and learn

Dave

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:05:53 am »
thnx,I feel alot better now, ahhh.
yeah, my girls have definitely settled in. For a couple of days there, they wouldn't leave the yard, of course queens hadn't been released yet. After the queens were released it seemed like all of a sudden they had purpose. I thoroughly enjoy watching their flights, they seem to just disappear into thin air, then all of a sudden here they are again, divebombing into the entrance, & I get a kick outta the ones heavy with pollen. I am blessed to have started this wonderful journey, mush, mush, mush. When I figure out how to post pictures, I will post some.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 09:27:58 pm »
Screened bottom boards help with ventilation...yes but, they also cause an increase in humidity.  Especially after a rainstorm or if anything is just wet.