Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I be feeding? Cool and rainy in NY for the next week.  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Our weather in NY has turned cool and rainy.  We are forecasted to have rain for the whole week.  I have one established hive, 3 hives installed just this spring.  All have been active but I'm concerned with them not being able to harvest at all this week.  I hate to open the hives to check in this weather.  Do I just put some board feeders out there to see it they take it?
We love the girls...

Offline kaz052

• New Bee
Re: Should I be feeding? Cool and rainy in NY for the next week.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
Hey Dave

I'm in NY also. Just south of Buffalo, NY. There is no harm in feeding, if they'll take it. Most of my new hives just don't want to take sugar water right now.

Just curious, where is Chestnut Ridge, NY? I know where Chestnut Ridge Park is but never heard of a town named Chestnut Ridge.

Walt

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »
it's a good idea to check when you know extended bad weather is coming.  if they have plenty of stores,  you run the risk of them taking brood space to store syrup when you feed needlessly.  they will gather in the rain if it's not a downpour, not to windy, and not to cold. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:53 pm »
Walt - Chestnut Ridge is Rockland County, we're close to the NJ border, exit 14A on Thruway.
We love the girls...

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:32 am »
I checked the hives yesterday, at least the top boxes.  All are full of bees.  Two of the hives I did not see any or little honey, maybe they are storing it below the top box?  I'll do a more complete check this weekend when the hubby is around to help lift the boxes!  Two of my new hives are storing honey like mad - will need to add another box this weekend. 

I won't feed if the weather stays the same (we are getting some sun each day).  They seem to be coming in with pollen.

Comments?
We love the girls...

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
My hives are in NYC and its been rainy on and off for the past 2-3 weeks and cool.  I put a feeder back out in May when the weather turned cooler and rainy and the bees are taking syrup. Not as much as earlier in the season (March), but still a bit.  If the girls are taking it,  leave it on. If not, then take it off.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
If the girls are taking it,  leave it on. If not, then take it off

if you do this and they backfill the brood nest, you will have them swarm.  feed only when they are not bringing in stores.  do not feed when they are able to supply themselves.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Beregondo

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »
I'm in Elmira, on the NY/PA border.
I haven't fed the bees, and there are plenty of stores.
Every day that it has rained, bees have been out foraging.

The only feed I have out is on nucs with new swarms in them, to stimulate comb formation.

Feeding when they don't need it is a good way to lose bees to swarms, as kathyp noted.

And if anyone knows anything about keeping bees in the rain, it's a beek in the Pacific NW on the west side of the Cascades.

When I lived there (Rainier, OR) one day my daughter asked me why the sky had turned blue instead of gray....

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »
I moved splits to a new outyard this morning.  When I made them they were heavy as i had lots of frames of honey.  They were feather light now and I added more frames of feed.  Bees brooding up use a lot of calories and flows come and go.  Several days of rain can take them over the edge.  Feed until you have a frame or two of capped stores then quit, but stay observant.  When in doubt pick them up!  Know what enough feels like.  Keep in mind brood is heavy too.