Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Had to do a combine  (Read 2311 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Had to do a combine
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »
I had to combine two of my hives today. One only occupied a single deep with a empty med. on top. Total weight of the deep was only about 35 pounds, even though I have been feeding for over 6 weeks now. I did a newspaper combine and gave the "new upper deep" a 1" upper entrance/ventilation opening. I also put about 3 cups of dry sugar/megabee on top of the inner cover(I figured it couldn't hurt), and left the entrance feeders of syrup in place. Do you think the two queens will fight it out this time of the year, or will they tolerate each other until spring? The two hives had been right next to each other, so hopefully there won't be too much fighting.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Had to do a combine
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »
You should have pinched one of the queens (queen of the smaller hive loses IMO).   There will be a fight and both sides could loose this time of the year.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:53:11 pm »
You always kill one of the queens. Hope you don't lose them both at this time of the year.  :shock:

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:07 pm »
Yeah, dummy me  :oops:; didn't think about it when I was doing the combine, and have always hated the thought of doing that! I will try to get in there Tues. am or Wed., weather permitting! I hope I won't be too late, although as cold as it is getting at night now, they may not have even broken their clusters.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:20 am »
An offshoot of the free wood option is where to find free wood.

I just had my handyman pick up 2 truck loads of cypress from the junk woodpile at a local fence maker place. They get in 10' boards but people want 8' fences, so there are piles of 2' boards wide enough to make mediums and supers, but not deeps.

I had him make me 20 swarm traps that take 8 frames. All cypress. I expect a good year next year for swarms.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 06:34:22 am »
An offshoot of the free wood option is where to find free wood.

I just had my handyman pick up 2 truck loads of cypress from the junk woodpile at a local fence maker place. They get in 10' boards but people want 8' fences, so there are piles of 2' boards wide enough to make mediums and supers, but not deeps.

I had him make me 20 swarm traps that take 8 frames. All cypress. I expect a good year next year for swarms.

Great Idea but I'm feeling you wanted this post in the best wood thread  :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:37:58 pm »
Well, I did it. I went into the newly combined hive today, and found both queens. The two colonies haven't joined together yet, but they did chew a large hole in the newspaper between them. The queen from the weaker colony is now swimming in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Even though it was necessary for the colony's survival, I really hated doing the dirty deed! :'(