Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Hello!
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »
I live in the Catskill Mountains in Grahamsville, New York.  Just installed my first packages on saturday 4-13.  I have never done bees before and am looking forward to learning.  I have been retired for three years and started Standard Bronze Turkeys last spring and we are currently anticipating poults at the end of April.  This years projects included honey bees. I chose to go with Russians for their hygienic behavior, disease resistance, swarming habit and winter tolerances.  Most people I talk with seem surprised at my want of swarming habit; my take is, I can catch it and expand my hive numbers or if I miss it it will add a lot to the feral bee population.  Win/win in my book.  I would like to meet other bee keepers in the area for social and bee keeping. I am a complete novice at this and any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Highlander.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can help and when you have a question, just ask, post a thread, someone will usually answer it.  You can check there maybe a local bee club you can join,or find a local beek.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »
Welcome Highlander.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Georgia Boy