Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from Austin, Texas  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
    • St. Joseph's Vanguard and Our Lady's Train
Howdy from Austin, Texas
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:03:28 am »
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking on these forums for the past two weeks, ever since I ordered 3 pounds of bees from the B. Weaver apiary in Navasota, Texas, two hours from where I live (I plan to go and pick them up instead of having them shipped--should give us some good bonding time in the car).

Apparently the Austin beekeepers association is no longer functioning, so I am flying solo more or less.   :(  The good news is, I managed to get in contact with a nice woman who still keeps bees and who used to be in the association, so I plan to ask her to give me some hands-on tips when I get the bees.

I am at the stage where I am about to buy all the equipment.  I almost made the beginner mistake of buying the "beginner starter kit" (imagine that), but now I am firm in finding 8-frame, medium supers.  The foundation stuff still has me confused, since I want to get the small cell, so any help there is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!  Beekeepers, I am learning, are a helpful and rather kind lot.   :)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Howdy from Austin, Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:21:57 am »
DevBee:

Welcome aboard the forums, I do my best to always say hi to new people and I'm catching up with some now (in no particular order) I hope that you have success finding others in your area here in the forums - go to the membership listing, arrange by location and see who is there. Post your interest in meeting up with others here in the forum and it is easy for me to make a MEMBERSHIP GROUP where you actually have a CLUB like atmosphere and abilities to interact within the forum.

You might think about keeping it more REGIONAL if local is impractical - that gives you people with similar climates and other conditions to communicate on. But the knowledge you have available here is world wide, don't limit yourself to thinking too local, although I understand the desire. The info you will find here is truly amazing - I'm always in wonder of the insight that members have with all their combined experiences.

Have fun in the forums and again welcome :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:58:46 pm »
Hi,
welcome aboard,hope you find any info you need.
Everyone on this forum is more than willing to give advice  if asked and are happy to do so.
Hope to see more of you here to share your experiences.        Have a great day,   Ken

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »
Beterbees ad in the latest Bee Culture issue says they now have 8 frame equipment.  Finally!  Maybe my complaints helped.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything