Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New package questions  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
New package questions
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:21:33 am »
Hi everyone just picked up my package of bees and installed them in the box last night, in a shed because it was raining. I locked them in over night with feed and put them outside at sunrise this morning, still a wet day. They seem to be active around the feeder. Its a 8 frame super and I put 7 frames with foundation in it. Because the weather is meant to be bad over next few days will this affect them drawing out the foundation? How long does it take to draw out a frame? Will they use the sugar syrup to make wax or will they need pollen? The queen should be free tuesday I was hoping she can start laying right away. I don't want them to leave my box.

I use 50% sugar and 50% water and 500mls last them about 12-16 hours.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: New package questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:17 am »
Before they draw out the foundation, they will draw out a wild comb in the empty space. Get the eighth frame in there, like 5 minutes ago.
They only need pollen when they are feeding larva.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:51:43 am »
I have spaced the 7 frames evenly as I could without hurting the bees. I was going to put the 8th frames in Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:41:19 am »
If they are evenly spaced, you may have enough space for them to draw 4 or 5 combs between the frames, rather than just one.
7 will work fine after they are drawn, but not with just foundation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:05:14 am »
I'm guessing the reason for leaving out the 8th frame is to have plenty of room for the queen cage. Sounds like a good idea, but it isn't. Iddee is right. Get that frame in there ASAP.

Feeding 1:1 SS should get them drawing comb quickly so the queen has room to work when she gets free. That's just what bees do.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

anything