Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Supers  (Read 1507 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
Fall Supers
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
I Live in Michigan, and have a couple supers that I have to remove.  When should I do this.  I thought I read somewhere not to remove fall supers until after a killing frost?  But the ones I need to remove are already full...... Any info?  Today will be about 70 degrees, but I don't see another day like that in the forcast.  Going to be only mid-high 60s after that. Thanks.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: Fall Supers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:03:12 pm »
If the supers are capped pull them!  And eat honey!!!   I didn't know it but if they are not  capped you can shake them and see if they are dry enough also.  Never heard of waiting to a frost?  I have all of mine off now and you need to pull them leaving enough time so the bees can make sure there is enough food in the two deeps for them to overwinter.  If they are real light now you might even need to leave the supers on for winter food. 

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »
What would be the lowest temp to pull them off?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »
What would be the lowest temp to pull them off?

How fast can you jerk them off the top of the hive without bothering or freezing the winter cluster of bees?   Assuming the bees are not wintering in the honey super instead of the brood boxes.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
I pulled mine 2 weeks ago.  I then put the empty ones back on.  The others that weren't completely finished (filed or capped) I put back on, on top of the extracted supers so they'll consolidate the honey down in the supers.  I'll be pulling all of the supers off this weekend for them to clean up (those that haven't already been cleaned up).  I'll then check the hives and feed those that are low.  I would think removing once it got cold wouldn't let you evaluate the hives and feed those that are low on reserves.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...