Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easy + Cheap Chicken Coop?  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Easy + Cheap Chicken Coop?
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
Hey guys!  I'm needin to build a chicken coop but my budget is small.  Are there any pre-made chicken coops or kits out there that are inexpensive?  How bout some plans to build one cheap and easy? 

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Easy + Cheap Chicken Coop?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »
If you find those inexpensive to build plans, let me know.

There's a great website/forum for all things chicken, it's Backyard Chickens.com.  At the top of the page is a link to the Coop Designs, well worth checking out.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:30:55 am »
Google PVC Chicken coop plans. There are plans out there for Free and it gives you a price list. And they sale a few of the special  pieces to put it togather and all in all people on my chicken board have been able to put one up with less then 150.00 and it is portable to where ever you need it.

Angi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:54 am »
Depending on how many birds you have, a cheap alternative is to build a chicken tractor.   I built one for basically free out of an old portable garage that collapsed during a snow storm.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:49:35 am »
I'm only looking to have like 5 to 10 birds.  Just enough for some fresh eggs for my family.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:53:25 am »
Then a chicken tractor would be ideal.   You can move it around and/or put a door in it for them to free range.   I use mine for chicks until they are big enough to free range.   Your talking a lot more money to build a real coop vs. a chicken tractor.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:34:10 pm »
Hi Sean. 
I am getting a batch of chicks this spring, I have the lamp & plastic boxes that can be used as brood while they are small.  We can split a bunch, I can brood em here till feathered out or you can (so your daughter can help) I do it in the house for awhile, then move outside w/lamp (once they start pooping too much to keep up with!)  She can keep her favorites & will probably name every one. I don't care which ones I get..they'll be "special" anyways once they hit our property line!  I have a 6x6 dog kennel for when they get big enough not to fit through the holes..that will give you time to build your protection!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 08:53:36 pm »
Storey publishing has an entire book on chicken coops with plans you can build.

Chicken Coops

I built a variety of the chicken tractor 2 years ago with a drawbridge. It's a little heavier than I would like, but it's functional and Pancho and Lefty certainly seem to like it.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

anything