Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying workings. What to do with the frames?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline RustyUPNY

• New Bee
Laying workings. What to do with the frames?
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:36:53 pm »
I have a swarm I captured 3ish weeks ago. No queen and now laying workers. I was going to shake out the bees in front of one of my first year hives that is thriving, but what should I do with the 5 frames of nectar and drone brood in the nuc that I am about to shake out? Should I take it around the corner from the hives and let the other hives rob it out?  Oh should I just add the frames to my weaker hive that hasn't drawn them all out yet?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Re: Laying workings. What to do with the frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 01:07:22 pm »
You could also do a combine (newspaper or screen) their is pros an con's, we did a screen combine last year and it worked fine, put the LW hive on top of a strong hive a inner cover with screen door wire over the hole(stapled) or you can just use the screen between hive ,give LW hive a top entrance. Let LW hive sit on top 5 to 7 day's then inspect LW hive, if you don't have anymore double egg cells, the bee's have smelled the strong queen and quit laying, then you just remove screen, the bee's look upset but they will calm down after a little orientation. That was advice given by Mr. iddee, worked like a charm

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:36:21 pm »
I've never done it but I don't think a newspaper combine will work with a LW colony. The screen sounds promising. I'm currently attempting a trapout on a LW hive. My theory is that once they exit the end of the funnel they'll drift to the hive to the left.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:57:21 pm »
Here's what I do when I have a hive with a laying worker.
Put the hive boxes in a truck or something and take it around a hundred yards or so away in grass.
Leave the hive bottom at the original hive location.
Now take the frames with bees and shake the bees from each frame into the grass, shake or brush.
Put the beeless frame into another box or trash bag and seal it so other bees can not find it.
Do that to each frame.
The nurse bees and laying worker have never left the hive and won't be able to find it's location.
Take the frames back to the hive location and install them in the hive.
There will be a lot of bees waiting on you when you get there.
Those are the foraging bees and knew the way back.
Put the hive back together with a new queen in a cage or install a queen cell.
When the eggs from the laying worker hatch they will be drones.
Give the supplemental feed if the honey flow is over and you will have a queen rite hive in just a couple of days.
Hope this helps.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
[...] what should I do with the 5 frames of nectar and drone brood in the nuc that I am about to shake out? Should I take it around the corner from the hives and let the other hives rob it out?  Oh should I just add the frames to my weaker hive that hasn't drawn them all out yet?

By all means give those frames to your weaker hive - BUT - cull as much of that drone brood as you can first, otherwise those drones will become an unnecessary burden.  Spike the drone cells if you're feeling energetic, or place the frames upright in the freezer overnight if not.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:11:27 pm »
I've never done it but I don't think a newspaper combine will work with a LW colony. The screen sounds promising. I'm currently attempting a trapout on a LW hive. My theory is that once they exit the end of the funnel they'll drift to the hive to the left.
Combing with newspaper has worked well for me. 

Also, just adding a queen as normal works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »
Capt. How do ya know if ya got the laying worker in the top box an didn't leave in bottom ?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:56 pm »
I'm still a new bee, but what I've read is that newspaper combine, can result in LW killing queen if ya don't give them a little time. They say you can spray with sugar water heavy an shake not far ,they'll accept the sugar covered bee's, in all hives don't know just what I've read?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:01:30 pm »
but what I've read is that newspaper combine, can result in LW killing queen

same here. I've put swarm cells in a laying worker hive just to have them tear them out.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »
I live in the sticks, access to a fresh queen is slim, I only have two boxes

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 08:11:23 pm »
I'm still a new bee, but what I've read is that newspaper combine, can result in LW killing queen if ya don't give them a little time. They say you can spray with sugar water heavy an shake not far ,they'll accept the sugar covered bee's, in all hives don't know just what I've read?
I have read that too but it has worked for me and others in our club.

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 08:16:24 pm »
but what I've read is that newspaper combine, can result in LW killing queen

same here. I've put swarm cells in a laying worker hive just to have them tear them out.
I didn't use a queen cell, just a mates queen in a cage with a sugar plug.  I would expect they would kill a swarm cell.