Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: killing the bees in the fall  (Read 10332 times)

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
killing the bees in the fall
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 10:11:58 am »
ciely1-

There is still always the option of selling your bees in the late fall - the way some people sell off their livestock. If bees could be eated each winter, like a pig or a chicken, then that would be a little different. But since we don't eat bees, there's only two ways to get rid of them - kill them or sell them. There are many many people that would love to buy your bees, shake them into their own hive equiptment, and keep them over winter. You could maybe even get a better price for them since they would be more established than than a box someone would buy in the spring.

Then turn that money right back into ordering early for packages.

Myself, I live in an area of the US where it's pretty easy to overwinter the bees. So I'd never even consider doing it an other way.

Beth

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 03:27:56 pm »
OK, ciely1, I'll sweeten the offer.  I'll come and shake out all of your bees in the fall and take them and put them on my equipment.  No work for you at all.  Of course I'd prefer to trade you empty frames for the brood but you can keep the honey. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 03:51:38 pm »
When I first tried bekeeping I could barely compell myself to cut capped drone comb.  There is no way, espesialy given a hive can survive with just 20 pounds of honey here, that I would ever seriously concider killing a hive at the end of the active season.  Thats just me but, I'd feel pretty guilty for harvesting honey/pollen throught the year only to kill them in the fall.

anything