Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sanity Check..  (Read 2265 times)

Offline 2bornot2b

• New Bee
  • still learnin.....
Sanity Check..
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:08:06 pm »
We recieved two nucs about three weeks ago.  One hive is doing well.  The other, we are pretty sure that the queen has not been with us since we brought them home (it's a good possibility suggested form our supplier).  Lots of honey, capped and uncapped, no new brood to be seen.   All the brood from the nuc is gone.
So this is what we've done:

1)Taken a frame of good brood from the good hive and placed it in the queen-less one.

2)Ordered a new queen and plan on putting it in this weekend.

I'm guessing she should start laying a few days after she gets there.  Should we wait about a week to check back for eggs??  We also plan to place her in the second box, not the bottom one.  Does it matter? 
Coming from a first timer I would be happy to take all info in consideration.
I can only read so much before I have to go on some gut instinct or help from you guys!
Thanks-
Trevor

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Sanity Check..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
When buying a new queen, they generally come in a "queen cage" with a sugar plug in one end.  After you intro the cage to the hive the bees will eat through the sugar plug to release the queen.  This generally takes 3- 5 days.  After she is released and well accepted in her new home it will generally take 2-3 days before she starts laying.  I would check to see if she has been released  in 7 days and then check in another 7 days for eggs and larvae.

anything