Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Infested, lost a hive  (Read 1901 times)

Offline fishman

• New Bee
Infested, lost a hive
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:44 pm »
I have a question. Feeding hives today, and 1 hive is dead!!! There was little white worm/larvae in little groups between frames. Also there was this brown slimy goo...  looked like runny brown kitten poop??? All over the bottom.  It also smelled rotten, almost like a roadkill? This happened all of a sudden, I was just in there a week ago and all was well. Also seemed a bunch of hive beetles too? Also all of a sudden I seem to have a bunch of hive beetle in rest of my hives. I have placed traps.

Anyone know what this may have been?   I did not take pics, actually I burnt it up, I have never had this myself.

Thanks 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Infested, lost a hive
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
"There was little white worm/larvae in little groups between frames. Also there was this brown slimy goo...  looked like runny brown kitten poop??? All over the bottom.  It also smelled rotten, almost like a roadkill?"

Well it sounds to me that you have had your first SHB slime job. Really sorry to hear that.

"This happened all of a sudden, I was just in there a week ago and all was well."

Yep, it doesn't take very long.

"Also seemed a bunch of hive beetles too? Also all of a sudden I seem to have a bunch of hive beetle in rest of my hives."

They have either hatched or found your hives in numbers.

"I have placed traps."

The only effective trap system I have found is full bottom traps. I have heard that others have had success with other systems.

"I did not take pics, actually I burnt it up,"

The equipment can be salvaged, no need to burn. I just freeze for a couple of days then put it on a strong hive. If it's not to bad that is. If really bad I hose it off first.
Later,
Ray

Offline fishman

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »
Thanks, I kinna thought so. I put beetle traps in that hang on frames with piece of fruit and veg oil... hope it works, will check alot. Those little buggers have war!!!!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:36:01 pm »
"Thanks, I kinna thought so. I put beetle traps in that hang on frames with piece of fruit and veg oil... hope it works, will check alot. Those little buggers have war!!!!"

Forgot to mention some important stuff--Keep hives strong, keep hives in full sun. Good luck with your war. It's been declared for me for a year now.
Later,
Ray

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:59:06 am »
Nasty creatures the SHB!!  I lost some 4 hives 2 years ago to the "buggers".

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:00:37 am »
I'm in prime territory for SHB. I use the IPK bottom oil traps and have had tremendous luck! I got my 3 lb package in June. The most I've ever counted was about 50 or 60 before I got my trap. Now, for the most part, when I go into my hives I don't see any, and I do look in the cracks.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline mdax

• New Bee
    • North Florida Bee Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:47 am »
I hate SHB's and the war is on as my yard is swampy, shady with a hint of sun.
In order to smash them down to where I rarely find a live one in the hives I've had to use the following

-Screened BB with Oil Trap  I also have one Country Rubes SBB w trap
-Beetle trap frame near brood
-Beetle Traps in top super
I also use a screen top/beetle trap made by Jim in jax.

I've gone from 20-30 SHB's in bottom oil trap to now 1-4 per 2 weeks.