Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, Mr. Horne this the clinic, your test results came back negative  (Read 8261 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Well my test results say I'm clean.....well my hives are clean.

Test samples on my feral bees showed my hives are European.
http://www.understudy.net/files/test_results.pdf

99% of feral hives in Florida are AHB...........my gluteus maximus.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
That's weird  :?   :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Just wait until you get them regressed... :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee

These are feral hives I have had for a while. They are regressed. That is why I insisted on a DNA test. I also informed the lab that these were small cell bees. The USDA-ID is a DNA test. The next step is getting them declared Varroa free.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Great results Brendhan!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Good for you Brendhan!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
I received my annual letter and specimen bottle from our Dept of Ag this week, they check for AFB. Its free and if you dont take up their offer, you pay a few bucks more to license your hives.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
where do you send them off to be tested? And if you were in ca where would you send them. And what do you have to send. It would be nice since I am doing swarm catching that if the bees are nasty if I could send them off to be tested. Anyone on the board live in Southern Ca near Knotts Berry Farm. I have a friend whos hubbys gas station shed has a feril hive in it and it has been going strong for 3 years now. And they are very protective of there hive. She said they have asked people and no one wants to bother with removing them and the lawn guy wants to kill them. But the station owner says if he touches them he will break a boot up his you know what. They dont have allot of money so they are looking for someone to just remove them and take them.

Angi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
"Brendhan, the test results are in.... you are not the father!"
  - quote taken from Jerry Springer

j/k

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My concern was the FABIS which they also listed.  I'm glad they came to that conclusion.  I've always wondered what would happen if they only did the FABIS on small cell bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello, Mr. Horne this the clinic, your test results came back negative
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:35:23 am »
My concern was the FABIS which they also listed.  I'm glad they came to that conclusion.  I've always wondered what would happen if they only did the FABIS on small cell bees.
I agree with you on that. I insisted on the DNA test regardless of the FABIS test. I also had the information go out that I was using small cell.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:16:58 am »
Congrats Understudy, I do believe that the stats are wrong about the percentage of feral bees are AHB. Maybe they need to recalculate or did they just come up with a number so no one would keep the ferals......

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »
99% of feral hives in Florida are AHB...........my gluteus maximus.

Congrats first. With the odds of you capturing the "one percent" would you buy me a lottery ticket. I'll send you money after drawing! Promise  :lol:
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:13 pm »
One of 3 of my hives (the only one that made their own queen last year)(I am in Tpa FL) show some definate AHB traits.  I got stung 5 times last weekend by them after working my other 2 gentle hives. 

Of course, this hive at the end of LY was the weakest and now it is the strongest by far.  No matter, that queen is getting replaced next month.  I get stung every time I go near them. 

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »
How does a few stings make it AHB traits? I've had hives that are mean sometimes and calm other times. One hive that was real mean late in the summer last year didn't pay much attention to me the other day when I was tearing their home apart.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:51:15 pm by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:46 pm »

So are you saying they get crankier on small cell?
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »

One of the test for AHB is measuring the size of different parts of the bee. Regressed bees would fall into that AHB size even though they are not AHB. That is what he was getting at. But since it was actual DNA test the results were none AHB. Most of the bees determined to be AHB were probably just given the  FABIS measuring test and weren't AHB at all.

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:30 pm »

One of the test for AHB is measuring the size of different parts of the bee. Regressed bees would fall into that AHB size even though they are not AHB. That is what he was getting at. But since it was actual DNA test the results were none AHB. Most of the bees determined to be AHB were probably just given the  FABIS measuring test and weren't AHB at all.
That makes sense. I read the description of the FABIS test. But I didn't make the mental connection. It's been a long day. Making judgements based on size seems rather unscientific to me. makes me think of the days when the police used body measurements to id suspects before fingerprints.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 09:05:05 pm »
Very intresting, did not know that.  Tony

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 12:19:15 am »
Congrats Understudy, I do believe that the stats are wrong about the percentage of feral bees are AHB. Maybe they need to recalculate or did they just come up with a number so no one would keep the ferals......

What and mess up their statistics?  You know how much Scientists love statistics, to them statistics are GOD and everybody knows GOD made the Universe.  When it comes to Statistics I'm in the same tent with Mark Twain. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything