Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New installed package  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Iokra

• New Bee
New installed package
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:48:09 pm »
I am new to beekeeping and installed my first three packages two days ago. I was hoping that someone would be able to summarize what to expect on a day by day basis after installation for the first week to 10 days. Example of what am I supposed to observe outside the hive. All I am seeing right now in front of my hives are bees removing bees that are dead and some are actually still alive and was wondering if that is something normal ( or could it be robbing? ). Also, I used a frame feeder stuffed with straw to prevent drowning and I see bees carrying out the straw. My feeder accommodates only one liter of syrup, should I open hives to refill syrup or should I wait until it's time to remove the queen cage. I don't know if this is of importance but I am using 8 frame medium boxes (hence only one liter syrup in the frame feeder). would one liter of syrup be enough for the bees for 4-5 days until it's time to remove the cage? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and hopefully answer some of my questions.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: New installed package
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:54:01 pm »
Please put your location in your profile. Your questions have different answers with different areas.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Iokra

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:56:16 am »
I am in Westchester, NY. About one hour north of Manhattan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:05:55 am »
Your area should have enough blooming to support them, but the feed will help. Yes, they have enough to last them until you remove the queen cage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:01 am »
Personally I wouldn't feed them they have no brood.  I would check that cage on the third day and if she isn't out I would let her out.  Then I would give the queen three or four more days undisturbed to get cracking.  At this point you could feed but you should be in a good flow by then.  Good luck.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:31 am »
In 40 years of beekeeping, Acebird is the first keep I have ever known to recommend against feeding a newly installed package. Maybe he knows something no other beek knows??

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:55 am »
Well I did not recommend not feeding them exactly.  I said I would not feed them based on the conditions.  Feeding has it's issues.  It can draw robbers before the colony gets established.  If that happens the colony is toast.  Based on what I am seeing with my hive right now there is no need to feed.  The OP will have to make that judgement on whether there is forage in his area.  I can't do that.  I don't think you can either.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 10:34:45 am »
Summary of what to do the first 10 days;

Days 1 through 2, observe from the outside.  Watch and learn.  Also, learn to light and use your smoker.
Day 3, remove the (empty) queen cage.  Feed if necessary.
Days 4 through 9, Observe from the outside.  Watch and learn.  Feed if necessary.
Day 10, Give it your first quick inspection, looking for eggs and larvae (assuming you have some drawn comb), then close it back up. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.