Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood Frame Clairifcation?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Brood Frame Clairifcation?
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:30 am »
When beekeeps refer to 4 frames of brood, do you mean 4 frames with brood on both sides, or does a frame of brood refer to one side of a frame having brood on it.

Not a big deal but occasionally you read about performing a certain function when you have X number of frames of brood, or someone bought a nuc with 3 frames of brood, or someone will describe a hive inspection where they saw X number of frames of brood and I was just wondering if that meant there were brood on one or both sides of the frame.

ld
linda d

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Brood Frame Clairifcation?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:40:08 am »
Simply means there is brood, some possibly capped on one or two sides of a frame. Eggs, larvae, pupae equals brood.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »
I would say it means a frame with a significant amount of brood on it.  It would have to be more than just a few cells with eggs, larvae, or capped brood.  If half of all cells on both sides are brood, that would definitely qualify. 
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:49:12 pm »
Anything less than brood on both sides of a frame is considered a partial frame of brood.  So brood on one side of frame is partial, brood on both sides of the frame is a full frame of brood, generally speaking.  Adding the partial and full frames of brood within a hive will give you the total brood frames in a hive. 

A hive containing 3 frames with brood on both sides and 1 frame with brood only on one side would be described as having 3 1/2 frames of broods.  A hive having 3 frames with brood on both sides and 2 frames having brood on only one side would be described as having 4 frames of brood.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything