Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Attacked by a Tree  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
Attacked by a Tree
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:51:52 pm »
Yes, yesterday evening, the last thing I had on my Saturday to do list was to take down the temporary wind break as warmer weather is on us.  I bent down to move the sawhorse that my break is leaned against.  When I raised up a small tree limb went directly into my ear canal!!  Was a straight shot...one of those 1 in 300 million chances.  Twig broke off inside my ear.  Fearful to even touch it or remove it I drove myself to the emergency room.  Somehow either during the drive or during the wait at the ER the twig dislodged and the biggest part fell out.  Was in such pain that I never realized it was out.  Doctor removed several splinters and small pieces of bark.  Have a "pin hole" in my ear drum which should grow back itself in a couple of weeks.  Feels like the worst case of swimmers ear ever!!

So, today, went in and checked hives.  Girls are doing very well.  Both queens are laying and they have consumed a gallon of syrup since last weekend.  Best news is that the Russian hive has come full circle in mating and is now an Italian hive.  The Russians were terribly aggressive.  I was able to comfortably work both hives today without gloves.  Am so glad all worked out and starting this year with two Italians.  I am now in process of painting the two hive bodies in preparation for a package to arrive April 7 and would like to do my first split as well to end the season with 4 hives.  In preparation for the additional hives I placed a few frames of foundation into my established colonies so that my package and split will be able to start on a few frames of drawn comb.  I would like to try a Buckfast queen in my split.  Any suggestions? 

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
Re: Attacked by a Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:55:22 pm »
Forgot to mention that I located the unmarked queen today which is a first for me.  In previous seasons I couldn't find the queen so I looked for evidence of her laying instead.  Was exciting!!!!  Should make locating her next time even that much easier.

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:27:50 am »
that had to suck gettin attacked by the tree. Yea finding unmarked queens is fun lol makes it more adventerous :)               :mrgreen:
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

Offline bumbean

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:25:25 pm »
ouch that would hurt bad congrats with your hive..............hives

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 06:34:39 pm »
Sorry about the tree
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."