Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another swarm a week later. Is that good?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Another swarm a week later. Is that good?
« on: May 12, 2009, 05:46:41 pm »
Came home and my hive had swarmed again. This is one week to the day after this same hive produced a 4-5 pound swarm. This batch was about 3 pounds. I captured and hived it and they seem to like their new accommodations. The hive they swarmed from has tons of bees flying.

Can this be good? Do I need to do anything? Do I have a virgin queen in this new swarm and one in the producing hive? What do I need to look for in case I need to requeen?

I was hoping for some honey this year but I have quickly went from 2 to 4 hives in 7 days. Not too bad either.

--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Another swarm a week later. Is that good?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:29 pm »
Came home and my hive had swarmed again. This is one week to the day after this same hive produced a 4-5 pound swarm. This batch was about 3 pounds. I captured and hived it and they seem to like their new accommodations. The hive they swarmed from has tons of bees flying.

After swarms are quite common, although most aren't in the 3 lb catagory.  Sounds like a boomer hive.  How often have you supered it?  How long prior to the swarm and the time before that?  The time before that supering will give a better indication of hive condition (crowding, etc).

Can this be good? Do I need to do anything? Do I have a virgin queen in this new swarm and one in the producing hive? What do I need to look for in case I need to requeen?

I wouldn't requeen if the virgin queen left in the parent hive gets lost or killed, just recombine with one of the swarms using the newspaper methd.  A 3 lb swarm is slways good this time of year, the 4-5 swarm was better but 3 lbs is more the norm.  I would recommend checking thoroughly for anymore queen cells and remove them to nucs, if found, in order to not deplete the hives resources any further.

I was hoping for some honey this year but I have quickly went from 2 to 4 hives in 7 days. Not too bad either.

You may still get some honey, maybe even more than you were expecting from 2 hives.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:08 pm »
I dont see nothing to add after Brians post
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24:38 pm »
It's a TTBH so I hadn't supered. It wasn't even full. They had about 18 frames drawn out and I had about 22 in there. Should I make more room? Will do on the queen cells.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

anything