Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burlap material  (Read 18646 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Burlap material
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:26 pm »
where is the best place to buy burlap material? I don't recall just seeing it it the stores.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Burlap material
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:10:30 pm »
I actually went to the yellow pages and looked under Burlap. Believe it or not it had listings there. But I think some material stores have burlap. I guess I would prefer a place like I found that deals in burlap bags because they know the ones use for food stuffs and you won't accidentally get some toxic chemical. The bags I get are sown together and that string looks to be nylon or something so I pull it out.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:13 pm »
Like Jerry said you can try looking in the phone book, or go on line. I get mine from a landscaper friend.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
May cost a bit more but some fabric stores have it. New on the bolt, by the yard.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:45:19 pm »
Coffee places often have bags.  Fabric stores have the fabric.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »
 Our local Rural King has burlap bags for $1 each, and the garden stores sell it by the yard as silt control covering.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:43 pm »
i got used coffee bags from the military surplus store.  12 bags for 10 dollars.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:42:39 pm »
garden stores have it around here, maybe you'll be lucky.
otherwise, like others said, buy a few hundred pounds of coffe, discard the coffe, voila, you have your own burlap, LOL, or potatos

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:35:49 am »
I sell it at Lowe's in the outside garden center, but I can't keep it on the shelf.
As soon as it gets stocked, it is gone in a matter of hours.
Then I wait weeks to get more in.
There must not be much of a margin for them not to keep enough on hand.

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:33:47 am »
          I buy burlap bags in packs of 25 at the local ace hardware store for .90 cents ea. I think they use them to make sand bags           metzelplex

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:22 am »
Home Depot and Lowes. It is near the shade cloth in the garden dept.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:15:45 am »
Doak, right off the bolt at the fabric store.  Now that sounds the best.  Our Fabric Land quite often has incredible sales there, I never even entertained that thought.  So, off to the Fabric store I will go, one fine day.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.

I bought burlap from the hardware store, food grade, but it burned up way too fast, I was shocked.  Then I went some distance away to the Honeybee Centre in Surrey.  This is where I have taken quite a few courses.  The owner orders in burlap sacks that have been treated with coconut oil.  It burns that cool, blue smoke (hee, hee, JP, have fun with this one) and burns for a long time.  There is no toxicity to the bees, otherwise he would not even think of selling it to beekeepers.  Yes, I would say the smoke is blueish, some may refer to it as grey, but then, doesn't grey border blue?  It is excellent fuel and goes for a long time.

I am heading off to the birch tree that has been laying on the ground now for a couple of years since our land clearing.  It is covered in what I think are called timber polypores.  I will take some pictures to show.  I am going to dry these and implement these with burlap for my smoker.  Eeeks, here I go again, I think I got carried away in this thread, my apology. Have a wonderful greatest of days. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »
If theres a chinese resturant around they get there rice in burlap bags. They usually give them to you.

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 02:06:41 am »
Pappabear - Go to the feed store.  G & H carries it - it comes in a tarp size to cover crawfish when it's hauled.  There's a G&H in Iowa and one in Gueydan.   They may carry it at the Tractor Supply in Moss Bluff - north of Lake Charles.  But where you're at - call the Extension office in Crowley - they'll know.  If the tarp size is too big, there are burlap bags they sell for sweet potatoes.  Good luck. Gena   ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:58:42 pm »
Doak, right off the bolt at the fabric store.  Now that sounds the best.  Our Fabric Land quite often has incredible sales there, I never even entertained that thought.  So, off to the Fabric store I will go, one fine day.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.

OK, now I have a question about this!!  I just purchased some burlap from Walmart fabric department. They sell it by the yard.
Well, now I am wondering about this burlap if it is treated or not. How do you know when the burlap is treated with some chemical that might burn off and poison the bees?? I am afraid to use this burlap now, because I do not know.

I also purchased some pure, untreated, cotton batting to use for the smoker. What do you all think about this???

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 12:00:56 am »
Surely it wouldn't be treated with out a label. Too many people sensitive to chemicals you know.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 12:15:00 am »
the only things that material sold in the us should be treated with, without a label are things like sizing and fireproofing.  a good washing with a little bleach should take out anything other than the fireproofing....and do a little research.  seems i remember something about labeling fireproofed material also.  + you can call walmart and at least get the name of the supplier.  the supplier should be able to give you the info you need.

my guess is that it's ok, but it never hurts to check and to wash.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:12 am »
Wash with bleach??? You mean in addition to the regular washing soap???  I did ask the women who sold me the fabric and she did not know anything.

Will look into this further. I do not smell anything really chemical like when I smell it.

Annette

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 12:53:29 am »
Well now if it is treated with fire retardant-wont it be hard to burn - might be a good indicator -how much they charge?-washing smoker fuel is just a little bit crazy in my book if it burns use it -the best smoker fuel for you is the pine needels that accumulate on the side of the road especially after they have been run over -dont take my word for it this comes from our own golden boy randy oliver -one of calis finest-they gather huge amounts of this free resource for there years supply of cool white smoke-  8-) RDY-B

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 01:04:44 am »
Pine needles  :? Do you see any trees out there