Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Update on Newbie NZ  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Maja

• New Bee
Update on Newbie NZ
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:19 am »
Hi Forum,
A few weeks ago I have sent the message to you asking how far from the house I should place my hives so we all enjoy each other company.. Well 2 days ago I finally got my first hive . I can walk just about right up to the hive and they seem to be happy about it. Maybe its just my ignorance and luck? Anyway , today I put a second brood box on the top of original one, as I noticed that box was very heavy and cluster of bees occupied the entrance . On the close inspection after opening I saw most of frames with plenty of brood ,pollen and honey. Only one frame was not drowned...(?) but there were bees on it. I found Q! more by accident that knowledge.As per advice  I transferred some frames from original box up to new brood box and staggered it with empty frames .I have seen quite a few drone cells-should I destroy them? My second hive is at the different site which I am going to inspect in a couple of days. So far so good. Very exciting that bee-business  :lol:...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:26:17 pm by Maja »

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
Re: Update on Newbie NZ
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:11:06 am »
Congratulations on your first hives!   X:X

Probably better to wait for someone with more experience to answer your questions.   :)

Also...Welcome!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:44:28 am »
Don't destroy drone cells!! Drones are needed in the hive.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:10:19 am »
If you destroy drone cells they will just have to raise more brood and use more resources to do so...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:27:59 am »
Post up a photo of the drone cell in the foundation, we can discuss the spread of everything on the foundation to give you a bit of an idea of how the brood is forming. Photo show the pollen store, nectar shape and also important capped brood layout.

anything