Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle and grease patty  (Read 8981 times)

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Small Hive Beetle and grease patty
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:12:37 pm »
I put in a grease patty last week with my new bees.  I have read a couple of places to feed year round grease pattys.  When I went in yesterday for a more in depth inspection there were small larvae all over the grease patty.  I removed the patty and did see a small hive beetle while I was holding up a frame.  I wasn't able to kill the beetle.  :-x  Would these larvae possibly be beetle larvae?  Should I start action against them with Checkmite+.  Could it have been another intruder similar to the hive beetle?  :?  I started out with a 5 frame nuc and don't plan on keeping any honey for myself this year.  Any help is appreciated. :-D
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Helplessly Lost
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:28 pm »
Where are you from and where did you get your NUC from?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle and grease patty
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »
I got the nuc from Chadwell bee supply in Oliver Springs TN.  I had to relocate the bees in Allardt, TN  on the Cumberland Plateau. (Fentress Co.)  The bees are West of Knoxville and slightly North about 90 miles.

Mark Herndon

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
I'm from New England and we don't have too much of a problem with SHB unless you live near the coast.  They like the sandy soil from what I hear.  I also heard that SHB tend to come from bees purchased in the south of USA.  I would assume that your area is susceptible to these critters and you should take immediate action to take care of those critters.  I can almost guaranty you that whatever kind of larva you have in your grease patty does not belong there.  Are you using essential oils in your patty?  That might take care of the SHB.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
If you see one hive beetle, is there cause for concern?  I saw one crawling about, killed it, didn't see others.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:39:20 pm »
I did not have esential oils in the patties.  I used 2/3 cup vegetable shorting and 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar on wax paper.  I have ordered some of the A. J. beetle eaters and saw some homemade traps on another website.  I removed the infested grease patty as soon as I saw the larvae.  It worries me that they populated so quickly.  I hope the bees are able to handle them for a while till I can get a plan ready for treatment.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
Grease patties I'm not sure??? Pollen patties a great concern. Usually after the honey and pollen in brood comb and then take over the honey supers.
A weak nuc or hive is a concern as is splitting during shb season. A problem if too much comb space (drawn comb to protect.
Is seeing one a reason of real concern ---- if it is we are in for a heap of trouble  :shock:! All jokes aside if you live in shb territory get used to seeing a few and regulate how your bees handle them without treatment. Treat as you see necessary. I don't have a threshold for this as I don't believe anyone else does either. But watch and if you see quite a few on combs in brood chambers in empty spaces and not corralled in corners by bees etc Watch Out :(!

Finally different folks use lots of different traps and treatments. Try a search.
John 3:16

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:53 pm »
Yes, you have shb larvae.  Just remove the patty and clean out/destroy any shb larvae.  I suggest following sc-bee's advice and keep an eye open for them and their numbers.  I see them everytime I go in (during warm months).  If you see one, you probably have more....they are excellent at hiding.  The key to controlling shb, is a healthy hive.  There are traps. I don't use chemicals in my hives ..so not sure if there is a chemical treatment for them.

Best of luck,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »
"I don't use chemicals in my hives ..so not sure if there is a chemical treatment for them".
Sure there is, it's called Guard Star, you drench the ground with a watering can around the outside of the hive. When the larva go into the ground to pupa it kills them, therefore breaking the reproductive cycle. Use it with traps if you are infested with them. But, like scbee said just keep an eye on them and don't let them get out of control and you'll be ok.
Wes Sapp

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »
"
Sure there is, it's called Guard Star,

Where do you get "guard star"?  I did a google search for "guard star" and came up with nothing about insecticide.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »
If you feed pollen or grease patties you are more likely to invite SHB into your hive.  A beekeeper can go years without a SHB problem, not even realizing they are in his area, until he decides to feed patties to his bees.  I don't use patties in any shape or form and have never (knock on wood) had an SHB problem.  At my last beekeepers meeting I found out that those who chose to feed patties did, so I am now aware that we have SHB in my area. 
Also, from the info I gathered once you have SHB you have SHB even if you stop feeding patties because of their reproductive cycle unless you drench to earth around you hives with Gold Star for about 10 yards in every direction.  And even then, it's not a sure bet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:49:13 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  I have a couple of A. J. 's beetle traps ordered.  Will probably do the ground drench to break up the life cycle.

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 01:00:24 pm »
"Where do you get "guard star"?  I did a google search for "guard star" and came up with nothing about insecticide".
Here you go!
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/prodinfo.asp?number=481G
Wes Sapp

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:03 pm »
Neem oil can also be used/sprayed on the ground around the hives.  It inhibits the development of the wings of the hive beetle, preventing it from flying to/from hives. 
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 02:51:29 pm »
What Brian says about the Gold Star dench method is supposed to be the best direction to control SHBs.  Two yrs. ago I had a light infestation of beetles in a couple of hives and just sightings of 6 or 7 beetles in the other hives.  I used the Gold Star dench out to a 3' radius from the hives.  It slowed them down but did not eliminate them..  I repeated the dench twice that yr..

Last yr. I decided to use the Oxalic acid drip for mites. I didn't have any obvious mite infestation so it was as precaution.  I didn't want to use Mite-Away II or any of that type application. I used the drip in Dec. 07' - one time only.  So far this yr. I have not seen the first SHB. Either they decided to move out ( which I doubt ) or the Oxalic acid drip did a job on them while at the same time getting rid of any mites I might have add also . Note: My neighbor of about 1\2 mi. away still has SHBs in his hives this yr. and he did not treat with Oxalic acid last winter.....he used Mite Away II.

Just some experiences I've had with SHBs, maybe it'll be useful.  Needless to say I'll use Oxalic acid in Dec. 08'.  

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »
Jennifer Berry for the UGA bee lab and who writes an article in every Bee Culture says that putting grease patties in the hives means you will definitely invite SHB.  SHB won't be a problem , as others have mentioned, in a strong hive - the bees keep them under control.  As with wax moth, if you find damage in your hive from the SHB, then it means your hive is weak - not that the beetles are strong.

Linda T in Atlanta where, knock on wood, I have only seen 2 small hive beetles this year and don't currently have any traps on the hives

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:37:32 pm »
I got the nuc from Chadwell bee supply in Oliver Springs TN.  I had to relocate the bees in Allardt, TN  on the Cumberland Plateau. (Fentress Co.)  The bees are West of Knoxville and slightly North about 90 miles.

Mark Herndon

Can you give me some contact info for Chadwell bee supply?  I work less than 30 minutes from oliver springs, so it would be really convenient for me to run by there to get bee stuff.  I tried googling by name and location but came up empty.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:12 pm »
You are spelling it wrong.  "GardStar 40% EC"  some of the bee suppliers have it but it is also a premise spray for livestock areas.  I called my local Cooperative and they said they would special order it.  Quoted me in the $20.00 range.  Other online animal health suppliers have it online for less than any other bee supplier.  $17-$18 plus shipping.  It does have SHB on the label.

Mark

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 09:33:45 am »
I find guardstar to be a waste of time and money!!!
John 3:16

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:27:28 pm »

I find guardstar to be a waste of time and money!!!
Please tell us your trick for control. I have eight hives at my house use gard star and have no real problem.  So if you know of a way for me to save time and money, please do tell!
Wes Sapp