Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New queen NO brood  (Read 3477 times)

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
New queen NO brood
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »
I started a nuc a few weeks ago to prevent swarming.I put 4 frame brood and honey in 5 frame nuc.
No sign of any cells and all brood hatched.DO I need to add new frame of brood before installing queen?

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
Re: New queen NO brood
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
If there's no more uncapped brood an not alot of capped then i'd say most definately since there'll be a huge gap between present bees and those that'll be produced by ur new queen.....
What did u do purchase a new queen??
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:32 am »
What age of brood frames did you use? You'll need a frame with some nice amount of eggs in it to get queen cells built well. Make sure, also, that there is enough nurse bees in to cover the frames well.  Since they won't have large field force bees, a feeder is always a good idea.

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:04:48 am »
There are no capped brood, all uncapped and I have a new queen coming Friday.Is bauxite plant still at Discovery Bay,
Erected that in about 1965.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:07 am »
There are no capped brood, all uncapped and I have a new queen coming Friday.Is bauxite plant still at Discovery Bay,
Erected that in about 1965.

Well if brood is uncapped then for now that's not so bad,after queen has been accepted and laying u may add a frame or two of capped/uncapped brood to boost hive :mrgreen:

Yup,(KAISER)bauxite plant's still there.....Are u saying that u assisted with the erection of that plant in '65??
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:07:20 am »
Yep,I took cranes down there out of Miami,stayed there for 6 months .Bad erection crew from California and building fell down on first try killed 6 souls.I have read that if I put brood in they will accept queen better, what do you think?

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »
Wow dat was bad,Thks for  da hiistory lesson tho.
Yeah sounds pretty much ok-My chain of thot was if u put brood in now with eggs then they may start building emergency queens and by the time ur queen arrives it may be a bit technical to introduce her(not sure,just a thot).
I'd introduce brood same time with queen or few hrs b4 or after ;)

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:56:19 pm »
GOOD THINKING,THANKS

Offline greezykid

• New Bee
Re: New queen NO brood--must have had queen!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »
Went to install queen an had some capped brood,not much but some,could not find queen. I borrowed some more frames from other hives and made another nuc with new queen.