Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen check  (Read 3229 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Queen check
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »
Locating the queen on thought to be queenless starter hive

- Day1 - Introduced a queen in a cage with a cork plug, she was alive on day three and the same color but smaller. - Day3 - replaced plug with marshmallow. - Day6 - she was no where to be found. Capped queen cells were present, left a few, applied some feed and closed it up. Including the time span between day 3 and day 6 - this check was done 27 to 30 days later.

what yah think?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen check
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30:09 pm »
looks like you have lots of brood and all is well.  congrats.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »
Nice fat queen seems to have hit the ground running.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:00 pm »
yes, I'm happy it worked it out  :)

For those that maybe questioning the location, for now I'm not too worried about it, as it offers some protection. I do have some in direct sun but wind could be a problem there. I'll deal with it either way. this was the best picture I could currently up with.

checking on queen activity

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:49 pm »
Nice pics and nice looking queen too.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:47 pm »
Nice pics and nice looking queen too.

Mark

:hissyfit: Nice looking Queen?!?! Wonder if my sight is finally failing now,I been checking thru tha pic for queen with no luck - how'd u spot her,where's she??? :needhelp:
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
pic #2 just south of center.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
:oops: hehe ;) Well she's quite visible there but thot Mark was referring to WD's final post with pic labelled "checking on queen activity"
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..