Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive placement  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Clem

• New Bee
Hive placement
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
Cold and snowy here on the gulf coast today so I'm inside thinking about where to put our fist 2 hives. Have to be ready for bees march 31. There is a good spot with morning sun and mostly shady later in the day, I can see the hives from the house and I like that, but its 100 feet from the house, is this too close? There is more room farther back on the land (3 acres) and we may add more hives. Thanks

Moots

Re: Hive placement
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:26 pm »
Clem,
100 feet is plenty far enough...Considering it's your first hives, you'll probably wish they were closer, you'll want to spend so much time watching your bees.  :laugh:

I actually keep the majority of my hives next door at my nephew's house, but I do keep one at my house literally on my driveway, a mere couple of feet from where I park my car.  I always stop and observe them for a moment or two anytime I'm coming or going.  It's super convenient and a non-issue!

Welcome to the forum!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
Hey Clem, Welcome to the forum! I'm a first year beek (Jun) so please ignore the rest of this post   ;)

Several things to take into consideration in addition to what's already been mentioned. Small Hive Beetles, Low lying areas (moisture), neighbors, animals (cows, goats, ect), and the such. Also some folks may kick them over because they don't like them. I have one hive so I've really nothing to compare it to.

When I first got my bees I put them in a place where they got 3 or 4 hours of morning sun and had shade the rest of the day. I had a problem with small hive beetles and they weren't building up real fast. I got them after the main flow so that may account for the slow (in my mind) build up. I moved them probably 30 or 40 feet straight forward into more direct sunlight. It seem to help. I'm told SHB's like the shade. I got a IPK beetle trap (oil pan) and that took care of the SHBs. They seem to do better in the sun but I really can't say for sure.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:27 am »
 first place the snow melts is where you should consider your location-- 8-) RDY-B

Offline Clem

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:00 am »
I appreciate the suggestions, I'm going to get them out there as soon as I finish building them. I'm somewhat new to this area but people seem to keep to themselves mostly.  Our kids are grown, there are a couple boys on either side of us and I think they are respectful and will show the right kind of interest. I guess we'll see what happens when we have a swarm? The neighbors have swimming pools so I've been advised to provide an adequate water source for our bees so they don't look that way as much.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:40 am »
Out of the way of strong winds.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »
I started with my bees close to the house, the wife has wanted them farther since I got them.  I like them close, I am moving them about 100 yards.  I have a detached garage and where they were I walked by them going there.  Could look out window and see them.  I first had them on a concrete slab, now there was a house trailer that is gone that had a 10 X30 covered deck that they will be on.  I walled up the north side, where they were I covered the north and west sides during the winter.  They get the sun most of the day, but are out of the rain.  I have a water bucket with a piece of Styrofoam between the hives.  
If you neighbor's pool is salt water, you will probably need some salt water.  Some people use a kiddy pool.

Joe

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »
Might seem a bit woowoo for some but I would dowse for the optimum location.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »
Here in Central Arkansas I have my hives in direct sun facing East.
That way the front of the hive warms and the bees seem to take flight faster.
Every Hive I had in afternoon shade had hive beetles.
Since I have to treat for Small Hive Beetles and Varroa Mites anyway, I went back to a solid bottom board.
My boxes fill out deeper in the bottom box with a solid bottom.
For water you can use a 5 gallon bucket (White) and fill with water, put Styrofoam peanuts (Packing) on the water for the bees to land on.
I call them bee boats.
For some reason my bees take the white bucket of water before they will a darker colored bucket.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
I thought 2 feet was too far away!
when we put the feeder jar on it obstructs my view!
they do different things all the time
orientation flights at 2 o'clock
regular

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:42:27 am »
I've had them by my back door with no issues, but I've had hives I was glad weren't by my back door...

http://bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#locating
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:05 am »
I have a better hive if I put it in full sun facing south or southeast.
Rick