Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hived my first swarm!! Learned some things, have some ???'s...  (Read 2940 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
I went out to take a look at my new hive that I set up yesterday--a tiny cluster on the lid of a water meter box that I lifted out and stuck in the hive box.  I didn't see any bees going in and out but it had been raining.  I noticed the big hive next to it didn't have much activity, either, but I stood and watched for awhile.  I happened to look over at an small orange tree that is about 25' from my hives and saw a swarm on it!   It was way too big to be from the new hive. I hurriedly pulled my bee book and read what it said about hiving a swarm--ONE paragraph!  I remembered some info I'd read on here and put a tarp underneath them, then put a 10 frame hive with 4 of the frames pulled out under them.  I didn't want to cut the branches they were on, so I shook the daylights out of the limbs.  They fell in a gob into the hive box about 2' below.  A bunch of them took flight and I brushed the stragglers off with a bee brush.  I quickly put the inner cover on to contain what I had and moved away to let the flyers and the ones that missed the box gather.  In minutes there was a gob on the corner of the box.  I brushed them into the box and left the corner askew to allow any stragglers to go in.  I think the queen wasn't among the flyers as there were a handful of bees that collected at the opening fanning.  I had the entrance plugged and chased the "fanners" into the box and closed it.  I don't know how prone swarms are to absconding, so I'd put a queen "includer" on. I left them to settle down and accumulate any late-comers as it was getting dark.  So far so good!   :-D 

I'd read that since swarms are without a hive to defend, they are completely docile and can be worked without protective clothing.  The book even said that gloves are just a hassle and to not wear them.  BULL! I got nailed on the wrist almost immediately!  I'm glad I was wearing my suit and hood!  Questions:  first, how did I do?  Second, did I get stung because they took issue with my shaking them loose?  Third, now what? Do I trust that my includer will keep them at home and put the hive next to my others and open it up and feed them?  Is it better to leave them alone for a day or so and let them start building comb as an anchor to keep them home?  I just left the box under the tree for now.  Finally, there was some wax on the branches, so it looked like they may have been setting up shop in the tree.  Is it common to find wax on the spot where they settled, or were the planning on staying?

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hived my first swarm!! Learned some things, have some ???'s...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »
I have been stung by a swarm once.   They were one the limb for a while and maybe hungry.   Stuff happens.   As for your hive, move them to where you want them to stay after dark.  And you can feed them from the start also.  How long was you swarm on the branch?  They would only start making wax if they were there for a while and going to set up shop there.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  I'm pretty sure they were only there for today.  I thought it was odd that there were little runners of wax on the branches already.  How long will a swarm hang around before they move to where they stay?
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »
I have seen them start waxing within a couple hours. I have also seen then on a limb overnight and not make wax. Bees are bees. I shake most swarms and don't have a problem. Your nervousness may have brought on the sting. I would put the hive in it's permanent place and leave the excluder on for 3 to 4 days, Get the two missing frames in the hive immediately. That area is where they will put the first wax.

NEVER LEAVE EMPTY SPACE IN A HIVE!!!
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:08:52 pm »
Iddee:  I put all the frames back in after they settled down.  There were enough bees to cover the frames, so I didn't worry about shbs getting a foothold, otherwise, I'd have pushed the frames to the center and left the gaps on the outside.  I didn't want them to start building on the lid and ignore the frames.  Any other reason to not leave an empty space?  Care to take a stab at answering my other questions?  I respect your wisdom and experience!  Thanks!

Kelly

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »
Not sure I know what your other questions are. Ask them individually and I'll try.

Centering the frames will only work if it doesn't leave enough room on either side to hang a comb.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:11 pm »
Not sure I know what your other questions are. Ask them individually and I'll try.

Iddee:

How did I do?  Anything I didn't do that I should have; do anything I shouldn't have?

Should I feed even though the honey flow has started?  (Will feeding encourage robbing before the new hive gets established?)

Kelly

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:16 pm »
Everything seems good. I didn't see any blatantly bad moves. Every swarm will be different, so details will always change, so as long as the main lady gets in and the rest follow, all is right with the world. With a flow on, robbing is seldom a problem. I usually feed a half gallon of 1:1, maybe a gallon, then quit.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:19:32 am »
you found the swarm
you could reach the swarm
the swam got into the box
most likely you got the queen
you got them home
you got them into a hive.

you did good.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:21:02 am »
BTW, i have been stung doing swarms also.  usually a stray that gets on me and i don't see it before i do something to aggravate.

fun isn't it??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:56:48 am »
First off, never beleive everything you read.  It is obviously not accurate to say swarms are 'entirely' docile.  But it is more accurate to say that swarms are mostly docile.

Come to think of it, you shook up a swarm of thousands of stinging insects and got stung once.  relatively, that is docile.

Bee know what they need to do.  All you need to do is let them do it.

If a flow is on, let them forage.  the sources they find are far healthier for them than sugar water.

all sounds fine thus far.

Big Bear

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:45 am »
BUMMER!  :'(  I thought, "this is too easy, I must be doing something wrong!"  I guess I did.  They buggered off!  I guess it was a virgin queen that hadn't fattened up yet, because they got through the queen excluder and bailed.  RATS.  Any ideas?  What do I do to prevent a repeat next time?

Kelly

Offline Ted n Ms

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 11:04:50 pm »
Try placing a frame of open brood in the hive. This will anchor them most of the time..
You can't hoot with the owls and soar with eagles!!

Offline jajtiii

• House Bee
    • Beekeeping in Varina, Virginia
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:22:32 am »
you may have excluded the queen out

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:16:00 am »
you may have excluded the queen out

I'd be surprised if I did.  :? I think the best indication of the queen being in the box is bees on the opening fanning into the box.  They were doing that.

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 01:55:21 am »
I had a similar situation recently I caught one and they left. It was my very first swarm that I caught, I was really sadden and almost took it personally. then I caught another swarm the next day. so I put them back into the same hive and I put pollen and a half pint of sugar water and put window screen and duct taped it over the entrance.

Then 2 days after I took the screen off at night time so they wouldn't fly away and let nature do what she does.
On the 3rd day I sat on my tailgate of my pick up truck and watched them clean up the hive and bring back pollen to the hive.
That was about 3 weeks ago now.

Good luck and have fun with them.
Dracono

Ps. you might want to check out Ventrillo and talk to us if you have a mic its free and easy to set up and download. if you don't have a mic its okay you can hear us and we can type back to you in the chat room.

Dracono

anything