Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline curiousbee

• Brood
What is it?
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »
While taking some close-ups of bees on narrowleaf milkweed, I spotted something strange on thier legs...

<<link to image removed; description: many thin yellow tear-drop shaped petals growing from branching nodes on the distal ends of the bees legs.>>

Just curious, but what is it???  It looks alien!

Bruce Bernard
San Jose, CA

P.S. I will provide an image if allowed...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:04 pm »
The milkweed is sticky and leave those on the bees.  It doesn't seem to hurt anything.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:43:26 am »
I wish I could have seen the picture, sounded fascinating.  The post said the link to the image had been removed, wonder why?  The description sounded very interesting though and a picture would have been great.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:04 pm »
Curiousbee couldn't post the link because he's a new member, I think.  Maybe a moderator can post it for him?  I'd like to see it, too!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:37:22 pm »
Ann, OK, let's cross our fingers.  Have the best of the best.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:28:09 am »
I sent him an email yesterday offering to help.  Haven't heard back.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:29:51 am »
Here is Bruce's photo.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:35:16 am »
Robo, good, thanks for the effort.

Now Greg, how on earth did you get hold of the photo?  I am such a curious george.

What a fascinating picture,  and beautiful to boot.  Wonder how the bee can get around its little world of flying and being busy with all the stuff attached to her tarsi?  Hmmm.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 08:48:41 am »
Cindi, I was also curious to see the photo so I sent an email to Bruce regarding the photo and he sent it to me to put in this topic. I must have just gotten my email to Bruce before Robos.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:41:31 am »
That is just crazy, wicked. The honeybees from the black lagoon! :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 05:52:41 pm »
Yeah, right on!!!  It really doesn't matter how the picture got here, it arrived, safe and sound  :-D  It surely was worth looking at.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 09:26:41 pm »
Ah, I've heard of bees and milkweed, thanx for the pictorial explanation! 

anything