Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Complete Newbie in over my head - I think  (Read 4694 times)

Offline sonicpops

• New Bee
Complete Newbie in over my head - I think
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:04 am »
Hi, Mike here in Venice CA, and I'm really excited and hoping to get it right.
Here's the situation:    I need advice in transferring fully developed combs from our borrowed bee rescue hive into my new TBH hive I built from plans. I watched a rookie bee keeper pull comb from the lid of our compost pile and tie 4 of them onto his bars, putting them into the 16 bar "rescue" hive in our back yard, I left town for 1 1/2 months, my wife told me a swarm left the hive and parked in our tree last week.  I got home and looked inside the rescue hive- wow! packed full of comb! Our rookie bee keeper had returned to transfer things to my TBH but got overwhelmed,  bees got angry, his suit leaked bees, his dog got stung, my wife and friend got stung, glad I was not there!   He just beat it out of there.

My wife and I  have full one piece suits, gloves, hive tools, cool antique smoker via Ebay and a WE CAN DO THIS  attitude.
I read a good bit about bee keeping, videos etc.....  Can't find the written word on transferring comb from one hive to another.
The bars are not interchangeable size wise.  I built a "Golden Mean" hive.  Great fun.   When the rookie beekeeper did the original transfer from the compost lid to the rescue hive, he just cut the comb and loosely tied it onto the new bar with cotton string.

Hoping to hear from some seasoned bee people,  Mike and Edith - Blue Pacific Bee's  - ha ha 

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
Re: Complete Newbie in over my head - I think
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:53 am »
i've never tried it, but i've heard of people using hairclips tied to the topbars to hold the comb in place, hope this helps.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:19:42 am »
 You can try using chicken wire as a cradle to hold the comb to the top bar
when the bees attach it take the chicken wire off
You can attach the wire with staples or twine
Pictures are always helpful for everyone
Or if they are doing so good in this hive why not leave them and
split it by taking just enough to start your new Hive
2 hives are always better than one for many reasons

Good luck
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:20 am »
I would build some frames.  The hairclips only work on old dark brood comb and then I consider them iffy.  You can easily tie it into a frame.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
I built some frames with coat hangers.  Quick and easy to make.

More info here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113708807857871269885/QuickTopbarFrame

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline sonicpops

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
OK great, thanks you everyone. I especially like the wire frame set up, that should help me a lot.
So we'll go for this this weekend,

Thanks to all,  Mike and Edith

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »
I put a cutout in a TBH recently and tried several methods of attaching the comb.  I built four with frames ala a Langstroth, I built two with wire and bottom boards to support the frame and two I just rubber banded to the bar.

The wire with bottom boards didn't work well at all, too difficult to mount the comb.  So I rubber banded them to the bars also.  

The frames with rubber bands to center the comb, worked well to install, but not for the bees.  They abandoned the comb and started building at the top.  Apparently, they wont build upwards.  I have since removed the comb at the bottom and rubber banded it to the top of another bar.

All the ones rubber banded to the bar worked pretty well.  There was a bit of damage where the bands cut into the comb, but not too severe.  After five days the bees had attached the comb quite well and I removed the rubber bands.

I also constructed a gizzy that supports the frames easy for viewing and working.  Very handy.  If you want to email me I will send you a sketch and photos.

Good luck

BTW, where exactly is "Hopelessly Lost".  I thnk I have been there, but I dont remember.  :-D

Offline sonicpops

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »
Thanks Sundog, I'm going with your rubber band method in combination with Michael Bush's wire frame deal.
I don't know what you meant by "hopelessly lost". That wasn't in my post?  I just feel a little under water, but that's OK, as I'm a ocean sailboat racer!
Thanks again for the quick and thoughtful responses to all.  This bee jazz is so fascinating I never imagined what I was getting into!
Hopefully I will get some pics up that won't be to comical.
Mike and Edith w/Blue Pacific Bees!

Offline sonicpops

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »
Oh Sundog, forgot, Yes what is a jizzy?
I'm at sonicpops@yahoo.com    Thanks MK

Offline sonicpops

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »
Test