Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removed A Hive For My Teacher  (Read 4468 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Removed A Hive For My Teacher
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:54 am »
This evening I removed some bees from one of my highschool teacher's house, they were in the wall and the soffit.

The stuff in the soffit was a real curve ball. I was able to fill a deep with lots of brood and honey and fresh eggs that the queen layed but she must have been on the new section of comb they had built in the soffit.

What's weird is the comb in the soffit was disconnected from what was in the wall, so I guess there's an outside chance this was two colonies, but I don't think it was.

Anyway, vacuumed two boxes of bees and filled the deep up and called it a day.

Here's some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/June222008

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Removed A Hive For My Teacher
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:10:40 am »
JP, wow!!!  You know why you are called the "King", hee, hee.  When you gonna stop taking all those cutout calls, hee, hee, talk about being held under the spell of the honeybee.  Great shots, and doesn't the pink wall look great against the colour of the bees.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:23:00 am »
JP, wow!!!  You know why you are called the "King", hee, hee.  When you gonna stop taking all those cutout calls, hee, hee, talk about being held under the spell of the honeybee.  Great shots, and doesn't the pink wall look great against the colour of the bees.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Oh Cindi, you make me wanna scream! You make me wanna shout! You bring out the sprite in me!!! ;)

The pink reminded me of your cutting shears! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:54:55 am »
Wow how high was that comb in the wall?
And had more in the soffit??

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08:47 pm »
I have heard of dententions before, but a cutout! Yikes. or are you "Hot for Teacher!"  :-D
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 06:05:04 pm »
I have heard of dententions before, but a cutout! Yikes. or are you "Hot for Teacher!"  :-D

"He" is not my type! But he is a fine fellow for sure. I had this one teacher though... ;)

Was just a regular 8' ceiling Dean.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
You get an A+ for this removal. (The teacher told me that)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 08:16:59 pm »
Great job JP, like Annette said, A+!!  Isn't it weird that when you are grown up teachers are just like the rest of us??  I remember seeing one of mine in a bar, I think I was about 23 & was shocked & sort of offended in a strange sort of way.  Don't know why cause if I hadn't been in the bar myself...Now I know many as friends, just strange how perceptions are!  George Carlin died this weekend...another icon gone  :(  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:21 am »
JP, brat!!  Those sheers were once green, until you and Frantz got ahold of them.  Smiling, have the most wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:25:56 am »
That is unreal!

First of all... how do you get that many bees in your wall... second... BEES DON'T BELONG INDOORS!  I believe I would have called someone to remove them at the first sounds of buzzing comming from the walls.  How can you live in a house with that?  How can you not know??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:29:07 am »
That is unreal!

First of all... how do you get that many bees in your wall... second... BEES DON'T BELONG INDOORS!  I believe I would have called someone to remove them at the first sounds of buzzing comming from the walls.  How can you live in a house with that?  How can you not know??

Sarge, the thing is most that call me do know, in fact this yr I removed one from a guy's ceiling that had been there for 15 yrs, here's some pics of that one if you're interested: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March192008

...JP

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:50 pm »
Why would people think they make good houseguests? 

Maybe I'm a bit oldfashoned this way, but bugs belong outside.

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 01:49:14 am »
I have bees in my house's walls.  They've been there for years.  The house was built in 1903.  They are in the bedroom wall and sing me to sleep every night and by the sound of things, it's a huge mac-daddy hive.  There's another hive in the column in the front of the house.  World peace....Gena

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:39:31 am »
I have bees in my house's walls.  They've been there for years.  The house was built in 1903.  They are in the bedroom wall and sing me to sleep every night and by the sound of things, it's a huge mac-daddy hive.  There's another hive in the column in the front of the house.  World peace....Gena

You could remove the wall interior and replace it with plexiglass for a really nice observation hive!!

...JP