Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some Russian beehives...  (Read 3463 times)

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
Some Russian beehives...
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:09:11 pm »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Some Russian beehives...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:08 pm »
do you put all your honey supers on at the same time, or do you pull them and add more as they fill?  i pull mine as they fill, but mine are close to my house so it is convenient. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:25 am »
I like the metal corner brackets - that's a good strong alternative to finger joints or other complex wood work.  How long do the plywood boxes last?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:04:05 am »
do you put all your honey supers on at the same time, or do you pull them and add more as they fill?  i pull mine as they fill, but mine are close to my house so it is convenient. 

this is my first year at beekeeping so I may be wrong... but as I see that colony is getting stronger I immediately erect either honey supers or another brood cubicle despite that frames they already had only partially filled... so I guess I put them all on at the same time to avoid extraordinary  inspections of the hive... (usually I check colony`s condition once a month).

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:17:08 am »
I like the metal corner brackets - that's a good strong alternative to finger joints or other complex wood work.  How long do the plywood boxes last?

I don`t know if that`s an alternative or not... I guess finger joints work very well, too. In this hives there is a second wall with polyfoam in between which makes deep hives body less heavier and much warmer in winter (and I hope cooler in summer)... I don`t know how long it`ll last as this was made by me out of emergency because old hives with which I had bought with my colonies was (a) very old and (b) not spacious enough to raise a strong family... Do you know what Dadant is? That`s what I had initially - four deephive bodied Dadants... Now when I did upgrade them to whatever they are I don`t know how to classify my hives.

anything