Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 100,000 beekeeper petition drive  (Read 15797 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: 100,000 beekeeper petition drive
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:35 am »
What BJ is doing, needs to be done. Is he doing it the right way?

Well, at least he's doing something.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:03 am »
BjornBee,

I will print and circulate your petition.  As I said in my introduction, Aurora Colorado has a pro beekeeping law because people "spoke up" by sending letters to the legislators who had the power to do something.  I like your drive and passion to try and change something.  You are not passively sitting back complaining but stepping forward and acting.  Thank you for your willingness to take this step, even when you are given flack by the very people who stand to benefit from your efforts.

How may signatures do you have so far?  The website for National Honey Bee Day shows a count of zero, and I know you have to have more than that.  

Have you spoken with any of the media sources for coverage in newspapers, tv, radio?  

Tom

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:46 am »
iddee; You're gonna have to back up "your assertion" with some facts, or some may think what you say is BS ;)  You may want to change the channel once in awhile too:-D

Tom:  I'm sure BjornBee is waiting for the mail delivery (he just posted this right??), we have until August, I can get alot of signatures by then.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 09:56:08 am »
For the first time, I'm going to agree with Acebird.  The idea that _anyone_ should encourage the signing of _any_ petition without discussion is insane.

I think Kathy hit it on the head..."what do you want the gov't to do"?  If you can't define that, what impact do you hope to have?

Snopes has an excellent article about online petitions:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp
Petitions calling for the erection of a firefighter's memorial or to have next Thursday designated national performing arts day have some small hope of success, but all bets are off whe the question becomes more complx ("Let's solve the problem of poverty in the USA")....Difficult problems don't suddenly  yield up simple solutions just because a great many fervently hope they would....

What I've said here is the same thing I would say for any similarly worded petition, no matter the cause, no matter the context.

deknow

deknow

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:52 am »
deknow: who said there was gonna be no discussion?

Kathy hit someone on the head??? :shock:

I don't think there are many around here who expect the government to do anything.  People do the doing, anything else is an illusion, (not that politicians don't take credit for what people do all the time) ;).

thomas

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:32 am »
BjornBee,

I will print and circulate your petition.  As I said in my introduction, Aurora Colorado has a pro beekeeping law because people "spoke up" by sending letters to the legislators who had the power to do something.  I like your drive and passion to try and change something.  You are not passively sitting back complaining but stepping forward and acting.  Thank you for your willingness to take this step, even when you are given flack by the very people who stand to benefit from your efforts.

How may signatures do you have so far?  The website for National Honey Bee Day shows a count of zero, and I know you have to have more than that.  

Have you spoken with any of the media sources for coverage in newspapers, tv, radio?  

Tom

Thank you very much Tom.

We are having a committee meeting on March 6th, and hopefully will assign individuals for such tasks. We just started the whole process a few days ago. So national press releases, and such beyond some bee magazines and bee forums, is how far we got to this point. More to come.   ;)

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:04 am »
buzzbee (moderator) said that discussion was off topic.

deknow

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 10:21:42 am »
Tom:  I'm sure BjornBee is waiting for the mail delivery (he just posted this right??), we have until August, I can get alot of signatures by then.

thomas

That's the plan. Thank you for getting involved.  ;)

Our local club alone has 10 observation hives scheduled to be installed at nature centers and state parks. Each one has multiple social events throughout the year. And with National Honey Bee Day, and hopefully assistance from the many bee associations taking part in that days festivities, and beekeepers like you all across the country, we have some great opportunities to connect with the public and have others jump on the cart being pushed down the street.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 10:37:46 am »
So what's your point?

You are prooving my point.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
 sorry i brought it up.  my comments were not meant to be political.  i just gave you my gut reaction to the petition.  guess i didn't need to, as that was not what you asked for. 

maybe next time you can give us the petition first.  i'll even do the research for you and you can present some facts and numbers.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »
sorry i brought it up.  my comments were not meant to be political.  i just gave you my gut reaction to the petition.  guess i didn't need to, as that was not what you asked for. 

maybe next time you can give us the petition first.  i'll even do the research for you and you can present some facts and numbers.   :-D

I won't need it for another petition. But I will need a cover letter, a statement of facts to go along with the petition asking for consideration of certain requests for Washington, and perhaps a press release that could include a little bit more than what is on the petition itself. I'll mark you down and we can connect later on this. Seems you have a handle on it.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 08:20:32 pm »
buzzbee (moderator) said that discussion was off topic.

deknow

I never said discussion was off topic. But I saw this post going off in a direction other than what op asked about. If you don't agree with the petition,start your own or don't sign it or promote it.
  I think the intentions are well founded.I get asked to sign or promote many petitions in a years time.
If I think a worthy cause,I sign or promote the petition. If not,I don't ask the originator to change it to suit my needs,I just say no thanks and carry on my way.
If discussion was off the board,the topic would have been locked. And that happens very rarely at Beemaster forums.
The post I previously posted in thisthread was a personal observation,not neceesarily that of moderator.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »
And that happens very rarely at Beemaster forums.

Very wise policy. ;)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:25 pm »
Wise policy yes,but not free reigns. We have rules here and once gone over the line,we have pulled the plug. membership here is a privilege,not a guaranteed right. :)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
Wise policy yes,but not free reigns. We have rules here and once gone over the line,we have pulled the plug. membership here is a privilege,not a guaranteed right.

Won,t argue that point, but if you micro manage the discussion you will not have to worry about the privileges.  It will be you and the other guy that thinks like you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
Acebird
Won,t argue that point, but if you micro manage the discussion you will not have to worry about the privileges.  It will be you and the other guy that thinks like you.

I belong to a number of forums and the most severely micromanaged ones have every post reviewed by a moderator every time.  Those forums are very ineffective.  I am still very new on this forum and learning a bit, however, I am pleased that it is very open, while maintaining civility.

Tom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »
>>>>Won,t argue that point, but if you micro manage the discussion you will not have to worry about the privileges.  It will be you and the other guy that thinks like you.<<<<

With 3376 members still here, I doubt many think it is micro managed. Some civility has to be maintained, tho, and I think they do a pretty good job of that.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 11:10:56 pm »
As a person who has had their fingers cracked a few times, I think they balance the freedom of the members to express their opinions, and the civility of the forum. You may not all see the PM behind the scenes, but I like the fact that they will send a private message and ask for some understanding or call for an end of something going bad.

Moderators on other sites make it public, puff out their chests, and make thing far worse than it ever needs to be.

I think the only thing worse than bad moderators, are folks who come to forums and expect to never see a debate, then are the first to claim someone is starting a pissin match when only a heated debate is happening, which is to be expected at times from passionate people with varying opinions.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 06:54:12 am »
I can say from personal experience; this bee forum is considerably more tolerant (and has less Or no stuffed shirts with axes to grind) and are more willing to accept challenges than another one I won't mention right now :-D.

thomas

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:11 am »
And that is why it has 3376 members and growing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything