Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Price of honey (lb) in your area  (Read 19743 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:04 am »
I would LOVE to find some of those lids!   I tried to find the translate button on that website but no luck.

Sadly they don't have one  :-X

But if you google   (Google Translate) you will come to the translater page

Chose German to English, take the Webb address http://www.holtermann-shop.de/     and lift - copy it into the German box in the translator  it should come up in the English translated box , double click on the address in the English box and it should take you to the site translated into English.

Some times it doesn't work and then you may have to click on a mesage under the two boxes and then you come to the site in English.

Tell me if you get it to work or not , so I know if I explained it right

The translater doesn't work 100% but it makes it a lot easier and you can guess the rest  :-D

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
Edward- It worked.  :)The best I can tell, the lid would be about .26 cent a piece ( which doesn't sound bad to me) The next trick is to figure out the size of lid would fit my bottles. But I'm nothing if not persistent  :-D

Thank you,
~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:48 am »
Merely a setback...  I do have some German contacts I do business with.

"Dear Mr. Coates,
many thanks for your inquiry and your interest in our items.  For us it's not possible to send items to the USA, because we don't do any export.  Maybe you have another contact in Germany who can buy it for you here in Germany and then send it to you.  We only can send items with a German invoice and delivery address.
--
Best regards
i.A. Mario Evers"
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »
Merely a setback...  I do have some German contacts I do business with.

"Dear Mr. Coates,
many thanks for your inquiry and your interest in our items.  For us it's not possible to send items to the USA, because we don't do any export.  Maybe you have another contact in Germany who can buy it for you here in Germany and then send it to you.  We only can send items with a German invoice and delivery address.
--
Best regards
i.A. Mario Evers"

I got the same email response! LOL 
Sadly...I do not have any contacts in Germany :-\

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:39:44 pm by edward »

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:59 am »
Nice job Edward, thanks!  Those Canadian ones are at least in the same continent as me!  Heck, I'll even be near Ottawa, ON as well as St-Pie, QC in the start of February.  I've shipped tons of stuff to Canada (different industry) but ironically never had anything sent from Canada.  I found 100 honeycomb printed lids in Minnesota that I bought but they were on close out.  The lids were from another supplier they bought out so they had no contacts for how to get more. 

I'd also found a UK one http://www.freemanharding.co.uk/category.php?id_category=97&p=2 that had some offerings as well.  Correct me if I am wrong but Europe uses a lot of glass in there honey packaging?  From the displays I saw squeezable bears and bottles were the exception, not the norm.

I'll hit the Guelph location to review if they ship into the US.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 06:54:20 pm »
In Sweden the norm is creamed honey in 700grams or 500grams glass jars.

Selling runny honey is frowend upon, heated honey is like swearing in Church  :evil: according to old conservative beekeepers.

My first honey I sold was in the plastic bears that I remember from my youth  :-D

Then I sold most of it in 350gr jars, as I didn't have a large harvest.

Now I try to mostly sell the 700gr jars. It means more money in my pocket.

As runny honey it becoming more common due to people traveling and cooking programs I also sell it but tell the customers if it has been heated.

The small jars sell mostly to people that want a present to give away instead of flowers..

I also sell 100gr pollen for 15.50usd 0.22 Pounds (lb)

My honey prices

700gr 14usd picture lid         1.54 Pounds (lb)
700gr 13usd                        1.54 Pounds (lb)
500gr 11usd picture lid         1.10 Pounds (lb)
500gr 10usd                        1.10 Pounds (lb)
500gr 11usd 6sided jar         1.10 Pounds (lb)
350gr  8.50usd                     0.77  Pounds (lb)
335gr  7.75usd plastic drop    0.73 Pounds (lb)
335gr  8.50usd bear              0.73 Pounds (lb)
335gr  9.25usd bear new extracted 0.73 Pounds (lb)
250gr 6.25usd 6sided jar      0.55 Pounds (lb)
125gr 4.75usd 6sided jar      0.27 Pounds (lb)

I don't know anyone that sells honey in bottels.
In germany + norway they sell honey in tin cans, also in norway they sell it in small aluminum packages

mvh Edward  :-P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:14:16 pm by edward »

Offline MikeTheBeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 02:00:23 am »
Three beekeepers I know of in my area sell honey. One, the largest, sells it at $4/lb to stores, markets, etc. (larger orders) and $5/lb. for small (personal use) orders. Another sells honey at $6/lb. And another sells his honey at $15/lb claiming it's of superior quality and purely local, no sugar water added, treatment-free bees, etc.

I don't sell (or extract) honey yet but if I do it'll be $5-6/lb and $45 for a gallon (12 lbs.; would come out to $3.75 a pound).

Moots

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 08:06:51 am »
Three beekeepers I know of in my area sell honey. One, the largest, sells it at $4/lb to stores, markets, etc. (larger orders) and $5/lb. for small (personal use) orders. Another sells honey at $6/lb. And another sells his honey at $15/lb claiming it's of superior quality and purely local, no sugar water added, treatment-free bees, etc.

I don't sell (or extract) honey yet but if I do it'll be $5-6/lb and $45 for a gallon (12 lbs.; would come out to $3.75 a pound).

Mike,
Welcome to the forum.  This is a lot more useful information if folks know what's "your area".  :-D

If you update your location in your profile, it will display it to the left with all your post and not show you as "hopelessly lost"....Location is extremely important in beekeeping, affecting everything from honey prices to beekeeping techniques and advice.  :)

Also, depending where you are at, I think your per pound price sounds low...don't sell your or your bees hard work short.  :)

Offline MikeTheBeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:10 pm »
Mike,
Welcome to the forum.  This is a lot more useful information if folks know what's "your area".  :-D

If you update your location in your profile, it will display it to the left with all your post and not show you as "hopelessly lost"....Location is extremely important in beekeeping, affecting everything from honey prices to beekeeping techniques and advice.  :)

Also, depending where you are at, I think your per pound price sounds low...don't sell your or your bees hard work short.  :)

Thanks. I updated that now. I'm near Sacramento, CA.

I guess I could sell it for more but it would probably take longer (depending on how many hives I can extract from, how much I can get; I have 40 right now). Maybe if I emphasize on quality people would buy more at a higher price but if not they'll choose some cheaper option that isn't too cheap.

Offline Sharpbees

• New Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 01:27:34 pm »
I sell here in central KY at $10/lb. in plastic squeeze bottles and $12/lb. in muth jars. Many here are way cheaper but I still sell out every year. I may not sell it as fast as they do but never have honey left by the time extraction time comes around again. If I take the time to dress up the muth jars with a ribbon and a Christmassy hang tag I can get as much as $15/lb.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »
Here are some lids from France, maybee they can ship abroad  :-D

http://www.thomas-apiculture.com/categories/capsules/

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 11:10:57 am »
Those are some awesome lids, and they've got the 63mm bee on the Aster.  I hit them to see if they ship direct to the US.

I did some preliminary math and assuming purchasing 100 from the German company it was 14 € with 7,40 € in shipping.  That's $.30 per lid before shipping to the US.  Assuming $30 for international shipping we're pushing $.60 per lid.  Currently the standard lids cost $.20 in the US.  Not a deal killer but put the hassle factor in there and it tips to the no-go side if they can't ship to the US.  I'm not giving up though.

I bought out the 100+ of the 63mm printed comb lids I found domestically, but that source is now dry. I'm heading to Canada in a few weeks (non-beekeeping business) where I'll check out another source during down time.

Moots

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:38 am »
Those are some awesome lids, and they've got the 63mm bee on the Aster.  I hit them to see if they ship direct to the US.

I did some preliminary math and assuming purchasing 100 from the German company it was 14 € with 7,40 € in shipping.  That's $.30 per lid before shipping to the US.  Assuming $30 for international shipping we're pushing $.60 per lid.  Currently the standard lids cost $.20 in the US.  Not a deal killer but put the hassle factor in there and it tips to the no-go side if they can't ship to the US.  I'm not giving up though.

I bought out the 100+ of the 63mm printed comb lids I found domestically, but that source is now dry. I'm heading to Canada in a few weeks (non-beekeeping business) where I'll check out another source during down time.

D,
I admire your stick-to-itiveness mindset on this lid thing!  :-D

Stay on it and keep us posted....Good Luck!  :)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »
In all fairness it is best to "share" the extra cost with the customer  :-D

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 07:05:59 pm »
I'm all about fairness. ;)  I did find hex glass for less than 2/3rds of what I was paying while searching this subject (even a blind squirrel finds a nut!) so I'm already ahead even at a buck per lid.  The other concern is if the lid will fit depth and lug wise.  US and EU glass producers don't appear to have an agreed upon standard.  The lids in Canada are the same ones offering in Europe.  It's a risk I'll take when offered.  I'll take a sample jar to Canada to try in a couple weeks.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 04:22:13 pm »
Pint size jar- 22oz
Qt size jar- 44oz

Of course weights will actually vary from year to year depending on moisture etc. Also from region to region. The weights above came from a chart that used to be in a table in the inside of one of the bee suppliers catalogs.

I get $8 a standard pt mason jar and really need to go up.
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »
Good to see you sc-bee, hope all's been well for you.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:17 am »
Here's a link to Another Company with decorative lids , http://www.icko-apiculture.com/en/packaging/twist-off-capsules-for-glass-pet-glass.html

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 11:33:34 am »
around here ( st. Louis ) the average is:
$7-10.00 per pint
$12-16.00 per qt.
$40-60 per gal.
$180.00 per 5 gal.
the jar prices increased slightly the last few years. the big jump was with 1 & 5 gal. prices. 4 years ago 5 gal. ranged between $75-120.00 & 1 gal could be had for $20-30.00
found these labels
http://www.etsy.com/listing/150362914/honey-jar-labels-stickers-canning-label?ref=related-5
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:00:46 pm by rober »