Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FINALLY! Things are looking up....  (Read 3112 times)

Moots

FINALLY! Things are looking up....
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:01 am »
We've had more than our fair share of COLD weather here in the Deep South this winter, including the last couple of days. 

However, the next nine days are looking pretty encouraging!  :-D  :-D  :-D

I'm thinking my bees will be just as excited as I am....

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: FINALLY! Things are looking up....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:42:07 am »
Moots,
It looks like it will be warming up but it also looks awful cloudy. My bees have had a few nice sunny days and were out in full force. My regular hives were actually putting on weight but my observation hive is eating more than they bring in due to the high number of cloudy and rainy days. Some days I see them filling the cells with nectar but over all they are using more than they are bringing in. I am hoping it reverses soon. The top 2 honey frames are now empty and the ones above the brood are 2/3 empty. They are in full development mode with the 2 deep brood frames full of brood. They are bringing in more pollen than they use. If it Doesn't change soon, I will have to add 2 frames of honey.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:01 am »
Jim,
I hear what you're saying...I know the forecast may not be perfect, but compared to what we've been geeting, I'm excited.  :)

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist, but I'm not seeing the "awfully cloudy" you reference in this forecast.   :laugh:

One Full Sunny day, 5 "PARTLY" cloudy days, which by definition, I prefer to think of as "PARTLY SUNNY" days.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:...and 3 days with no more than a 30% chance of rain.

We'll have to see, but I think the girls will be flying a lot over this period...If so, hopefully they'll be able to find something to bring in to keep pace with their increased needs of stores.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:29 am »
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/brainerd-mn/56401/february-weather/333828

Ya you are right.  Things are looking up around here too!  We are going to get some days above freezing!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
Hey Jim, what are your girls bringing in right now???

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:43 am »
your highs look like ours but your lows are a good bit warmer.  still, mid 70's is good.  before this last cold snap mine were bringing in a lot of pollen.  i think we're maybe 2 to 3 weeks from the population explosion here.  i'd be happier if i had seen some drone brood a week or so ago but it may be there now.  hopefully i'll have mating nucs started by march 15th.

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:28 pm »
At this point I will take your lows for a high. :-D

Offline Stevezone5

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:13:37 pm »
WOW...70's ish...........tee shirt and shorts weather........  it looks like our first day above 30 in the last 45 days is coming on Wednesday....

I envy you southern folks

being able to watch the girls/grill with out frost on your nose/ dig your toes into a white sand beach................yep i'v been cooped up to long......

Ok my northern rant is over   lol   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:02:06 am »
Hey Jim, what are your girls bringing in right now???

Chux,
They were bringing in maple nectar and a lot of yellow pollen. If. This were summer, I would say he yellow pollen was Bahia. Not sure what it is. My wife called me yesterday to tell me I need to come home and look at my strongest hive in my neighbor's yard because it looked like it was about to swarm. I checked it and bees were all over the entire front of it and the air was full of bees. This is the hive that I took a super of bees from 2 weeks ago to help another hive. I weighed it and was shocked at how light it was. They used a lot of honey. When I took the super, they had a lot of new nectar. They have been flying like it is the middle of a flow. I lifted several other hives and 3 out of 5 were lighter than they were the last time that I checked them. If the weather is good, I will check them on Sunday.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:57:31 am »
They do use up a lot of resources while raising brood.
I just wish I was having that problem too!
Life in a snow bank is no fun.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 01:18:57 am »
Well, tefer, you can do like my neighbor and move on down.  He is from Kalamazoo also.  For the next week we are supposed to be in 70's in day and mid 50's at night.  Good luck to you with bad weather.

Before this last cold snap mine was bring in yellow, red and green pollen not sure what it was.

Joe

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
all I can tell you any forecast in New England that forecast More then  3 to 5 days a head its nothin but Bologna or wishful thinking.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:02 pm »
all I can tell you any forecast in New England that forecast More then  3 to 5 days a head its nothin but Bologna or wishful thinking.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
Down here, they can't predict what is going to happen today. You would not believe the number of times that I wake up check to forcast (rain) and we end up having a nice sunny day or vise versa. What they cannot predict is the speed these storms are moving. I think it is due to the gulf stream.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:35 pm »
We usually have a good line about the rain.

If someone asks, "Is it going to rain today?"

We say, "50/50"

50/50?

Yep, Maybe it will and

Maybe it won't.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything