Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here is my set up.  (Read 8972 times)

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 07:12:59 pm »
I can understand the "it's this or nothing". And like you said, it's not ideal, but it'll just mean you have different expectations and management needs. It's not THAT bad. :)

Like everyone said.... just watch for excess cool moist problems. I think it'll work out fine. And considering you want the honey for your son for allergies, you may want to do things specific for that. Like harvest all the honey you can, and feed sugar water all winter. You know best how much you need.

I think they CAN live, and live well, just might need certain care. Possibly. Or we might all find they thrive beautifully.

And yes, I think you can get more than 5 pounds honey a year.

Beth

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Here is my set up.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 08:43:02 pm »
leadpipe, if that the only place you can put the hive , just have good ventalation top and bottom, and keep use posted on there condition.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 12:13:45 am »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
Here is my set up.
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 01:50:11 pm »
Just an observation, after looking at your first pics.  The holes in that fence are a little too big,  that won't  keep the bees in.

Offline kpezzolesi

• New Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 04:08:17 pm »
Having several hives in Connecticut, I wouldn't worry about the shade to much.  You may want to prune some of the trees back for more sunlight.  If you don't, no big deal.  

Since your son has allergies, use wax foundation for your supers. Eating comb honey is great for allergies.

Good Luck,  Justin[/quote]

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 06:28:58 pm »
Thanks for the tip I wil do that. Are you a member of backyard beekeepers in CT?

Offline Bill the Beekeeper

• New Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 12:38:51 pm »
Quote from: LEAD PIPE
People, people it is this or nothing .We all agree its not the best but I only have 2 concerns, Will the bees die and will I get 5lbs of honey? :wink:

Thanks

You should get 5 lbs of honey, but if it's a new hive real honey production may not happen until next year. With a new hive, you should plan on letting the hive keep all of their honey. Having said that, last year I had two new hives and fed them sugar syrup a lot in the spring to help build their own honey reserves, then was able to take about 15 lbs. of excess honey from a good Fall honey flow. Build up your new hives' honey reserves for the Spring, and take from the hive in the Fall if possible

If you want local honey for your son now, have you called a local beekeeper's club? There should be local beekeepers who will sell you all you need now for your son.

Yes, local honey has small amounts of pollen in it that helps build some resistance to local allergies.
Bill the Beekeeper

anything