Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SUGAR WATER  (Read 4509 times)

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
SUGAR WATER
« on: November 16, 2005, 09:08:51 am »
FOR AT LEAST 3-WEEKS NOW ONE HIVE OF MY BEES WILL NOT EAT THE SUGAR WATER. THE OTHER DOES FIND, I HAVE TO FILL IT EVERY TIME I INSPECT (WEEKLY).
THIS SUGAR WATER WON'T SPOIL & HURT THE BEES?  TOM

ALSO MICHAEL

YOU SAY TO PUT THE ROACH PROOF ON THE INTER -COVER BUT YOU ALSO SAY YOU ARE WORRIED THAT THE BEES WILL USE IT DURING A DEARTH? WHAT EXACTLY WILL KEEP THEM FROM GETTING INTO IT IF NO DEARTH , IF IT IS LAYING ON THE INTER COVER?  TOM
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:44:54 pm »
When my hive was a newly installed package I had to leave it for about two weeks to go to the Bahamas with the boyscouts.  I asked my dad to feed them for me when I was gone with 1:1 sugar syrup.  He thought I meant this spoiled syrup I had taken off a few days before and forgot to dump out.  He put it on the bees and they didn't take any of it so, I think that if it spoils the sugar syrup won't hurt the bees, they just won't drink it.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:19:34 pm »
Quote from: Apis629
When my hive was a newly installed package I had to leave it for about two weeks to go to the Bahamas with the boyscouts.  I asked my dad to feed them for me when I was gone with 1:1 sugar syrup.  He thought I meant this spoiled syrup I had taken off a few days before and forgot to dump out.  He put it on the bees and they didn't take any of it so, I think that if it spoils the sugar syrup won't hurt the bees, they just won't drink it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              "APIS629"     How can sugar syrup spoil?   How can I tell if sugar syrup spoils?     Thanks cef

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:45:40 pm »
I didnt think sugar syrup spoiled, mine have always drinken it even if it was 100 degrees out. :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 07:36:58 pm »
The bees hadn't touched it when I checked so I smelled it and had a drop.  It smelled like rotting fruit and tasted the way I'd immagine rotting fruit tastes.  Basicly, it didn't taste sweet, and it didn't smell sweet.  Yes, this stuff was exposed to sunlight.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:10:09 pm »
ALSO MICHAEL, YOU SAY TO PUT THE ROACH PROOF ON THE INTER -COVER

I'm not sure what Roach proof is, but boric acid works ok for the ants and I suppose it would work for the roaches.

>BUT YOU ALSO SAY YOU ARE WORRIED THAT THE BEES WILL USE IT DURING A DEARTH? WHAT EXACTLY WILL KEEP THEM FROM GETTING INTO IT IF NO DEARTH , IF IT IS LAYING ON THE INTER COVER?

I'm only worried about it mixed with jelly for the ants, during a dearth.  The bees have no real interest in boric acid by itself.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
SUGAR WATER
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:02:42 am »
Quote from: Apis629
The bees hadn't touched it when I checked so I smelled it and had a drop.  It smelled like rotting fruit and tasted the way I'd immagine rotting fruit tastes.  Basicly, it didn't taste sweet, and it didn't smell sweet.  Yes, this stuff was exposed to sunlight.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Nathan,   Could this smell be fermentation? If so, and you wanted to keep the sugar syrup you could reheat it. Heat it to above the boiling point, a rolling boil 2-5 minutes. this should make the syrup usable.

anything