Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees are flying today  (Read 1352 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Bees are flying today
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
The temp here in North Central MN is approx. 18 degrees today. In the sun, it's about 35 degrees. My bees are coming out of the hives and flying approx. 30 feet from the hives and then crashing into the snow where they die. Seems like such a waste, being that they've made it this far into the winter, only to fly out and die. What do you suppose the purpose of these flights are? I know they like to do the cleansing flights, but this seems kind of stupid, for such smart little critters.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees are flying today
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:55 pm »
They know their time is up and they don't want to leave their carcass in the hive. They fly out to keep the home area clean.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Bees are flying today
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:38:16 am »
It would kind of make sense for some of the really old bees to do that and stop consuming stores at this critical time.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.