Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old honey from cutout  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
Old honey from cutout
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm »
Last Saturday I did my first cutout and all went well from bee-vac to hiving the colony in their new home. What I ended up with however was a large amount of honey from an abandon hive just 30 feet from the living one. I'm assuming it's at least a year old and very dark in color compared to the live colony cutout. Also it smells very strong and almost alcoholic. I'm comfused why the existing colony didn't rob it out. Is this honey worth saving for crush and strain or to feed it back to my bees? The honey in the live hive was all light and sweet. Any ideas on it? Here are a few pics of the old honey and the cutout.

Old Honey

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Old honey from cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:42:09 pm »
if it was in an old abandoned hive i wouldnt trust it.  could be fermented or worse.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:47:55 pm »
Sounds fermented, don't trust it, like Bailey said.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »
Will the honey ferment even though it was capped? and what danger is it to the bees. Won't they know better than to eat it?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:52:17 pm »
fermented honey is great for people :-D and will kill bees.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »
No, the bees don't always know better, especially hungry bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure I read an article in the most recent issue of bee culture about the affects of alcohol on bees.  They found bees willing to harvest the equivalent of 80 proof.  It didn't do them any good that's for sure, but they were willing to take it.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:33 pm »
I put a small hunk above the inner cover as an experiment but i think I'll remove and pitch it all. I tried a bit and wow it was strong.Thanks