Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How cold is to cold ?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
How cold is to cold ?
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:26 am »
How cold is to cold for bees before they stop coming out of their hive to collect pollen and nectar ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: How cold is to cold ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:00 am »
It depends on wind, sun, and temp.  60 Sunny no wind they will fly good.  60, cloudy, and windy they fly but not worth a crap.  If they got something close I know a few dare devils will fly in the 40's if there hive is in the sun and out of the wind.  A rule of thumb I guess would be about 60, after that they don't do much.  These are in reference to my Italians.

Thats about all I can tell ya. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mastro

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »
I've seen my russians fly with snow on the ground and suck up maple sap in the late winter, around 35 degrees but sunny and still.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:32:15 pm »
I too have seen my mutts flying in the 30 degree range.  I will guarantee you though that if they stop for a snack they don't come back! :-D  I usually see sustained flight activity at about th 45f to 50f.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »
I've seen them fly around 35-40 degrees but usually if it's closer to the 35 range, they go about 10 feet and land in the snow.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »
It's not unusual for them to not fly when it's 50 F or below.  It's not unusual for them to not fly when the wind is 20 mph.  But then I've seen them fly at 27 F with dead calm and sun shine.  I've seen them fly in 40 mph when it was warm and sunny and they were finding complex paths to block the wind for their trip for water.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything