Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Things that happened when I marked my queen  (Read 1679 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Things that happened when I marked my queen
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:35 am »
Tell us the things, problems that happened when you tried to mark your queens. Good or bad, let us know what happened. Might save us from having the same problem or we could learn techniques that work.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Things that happened when I marked my queen
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:01:30 pm »
With the queen held, I mark me thumb first so I know the pen is ready. The very first time I marked a queen, I puked her several times before the pen was ready (that is why I mark my thumb first now.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »
Ditto, MikeCVA.  If the marking pen gets warm the pressure created must be released or you'll doom the queen.  I fortunately tested it on my supply box and yellow paint went everywhere.  I've got a big yellow streak down the box where the paint ran to remind me of this everytime I look at the box.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »
I was holding the frame with one hand and thought I could just ‘dab’ her with the paint pen since it was out and primed.  She backed up and the paint went from where I wanted it all the way across her right eye. Take your time, set down the frame, pull your gloves (the nitrile gloves I cannot grip them). Oh yeah, try on a lot of drones.  Gives you something to use the extra $2 of ink you have in the pen.

Poor decisions make the best stories.