Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My 4x4 Build - 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer  (Read 19161 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
My 4x4 Build - 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:50:09 pm »
Thought I'd start a build thread for my Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  I've wanted a FSJ (full size jeep) since high school and when I saw this for sale on the side of the road for $750, I knew I had to buy it.  I sold my Subaru Legacy and bought it!!!
Whats a FSJ do you ask?  A FSJ is a Jeep Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee Cheif, Gladiator Pickup, J-Series Pickup, or M-715 military pickup.  These rigs were made from the early 60's until 1991.  The last SJ to be made was the Grand Wagoneer, which ended the Full Sized rigs in 1991.
A FSJ is not to be confused with the modern Cherokees, grand cherokees, compass, or anything made after Chrysler bought AMC.
My rig is the last true AMC made FSJ since 1988 saw the production under Chrysler (even though Chrysler didn't change the GW in any way, including using the old AMC 360 instead of their own Dodge 360, a completely different engine).

Anyways, the GW is like a station wagon on crack.  The goal with my GW is to increase the "on crack" part by rednecking the heck out of it.

Right now my project is in a mild restoration phase since the previous owner pretty much destroyed the rig inside and it has serious mechanical neglect.

Since Willies, Kaiser, AMC, and Chrysler never changed the body style from 1963 to 1991 except round to square headlights and different grills, everything is interchangeable between years.  With this, I've swapped out the 87 pig-nosed grill for 1963 Kaiser Gladiator "Rhino" grill which looks WAAAAY cooler.

I've fixed all the windows, including the tailgate so they all go up and down, removed the tailgate area's carpet, removed the old air conditioning system, installed a high-preformance electric fuel pump, and gave it a tune up.

The to-do list includes replacing the radiator with a high flow unit with a built in tranny cooler, oil pump rebuild, timing cover replacement, water pump replacement, edelbrock timing chain and sprocket set, and power steering pump rebuild.

Also need to take the original 1963 front core support (acts as part of the grill) to the media blaster place and get it stripped and powder-coated.

I have on lay-a-way from BJ's Off-Road a 6" full suspension lift kit.  The plan is to equip the jeep with 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's on black steel rims.

There's an endless list of other upgrades that will happen over time, which I will update you as the build goes on.

Today I'm replacing the brakes all the way around and replacing the blower motor resistor for the heater.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: My 4x4 Build - 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »
Here's a picture of it when I first bought it.  This is with the old "Final Edition" style pig-nose grill.  This has recently been swapped out for a 1963 Kaiser-Jeep Gladiator "Rhino" style grill.  The only other cosmetic change has been the addition of a 102" stainless whip antenna for the CB.

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »
I installed new brakes all the way around.  Will have to take it all apart again though.  Drivers side drum on rear and passenger side rotor on front are both completely shot.  Don't have the funds to replace them now, so it'll have to wait.  At least I can now stop.  The plan is to eventually upgrade to rear disc brakes anyway, so I'm not going to worry about the drums.

Also replaced the power steering pump.

Next weekend, replace the water pump and fix the heater fan.

Sean Kelly

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:23 am »
My son has a 1988 jeep comanche.    Its a mini monster truck.  He really did a nice job on it

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:32:19 am »
Sean, keep the pics with the upgrades comin'!

"Station Wagon" on crack!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:33 am »
Its my weekend.  Gunna drop the kiddo's off at Grandma's and I'm draggin the old waggy back to my dad's shop for another round.

Today's project is a new water pump and change the tranny filter and fluids.  Also had to take one of the calipers off last week and haven't bled the brakes, so got a buddy coming over to help with that and taking care of a couple beers that are dangerously too full.

They're calling for snow in the next week or two, so I gota hurry and get things buttoned up and road worthy.

Sean Kelly

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:11:43 am »
Got the tranny filter changed after screwing up the replacement gasket once and stripping a bolt in the aluminum housing.  Water pump is installed with new upper and lower radiator hoses.  Took the Jeep to work (25 mile drive one way) and she did great!  BUT.....
Every time the wipers came on, the lights dimmed.  When I turned on the heater fan, the volt gauge dropped significantly.
I think now my alternator is taking a dump on me.
The minor repairs just never stop on this thing!  I don't want to start dumping money into the cool stuff like axle upgrades, lockers, lift kit, and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's until I get the thing dependable first.  Ugh.  At least it's an easy fix, I just can't afford to replace it until after Christmas.  The wife wont let me spend any $$$.  Sucks too cause the snow is supposed to start falling today and my Crown Victoria doesn't do well in the snow.

Sean Kelly

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:50:49 pm »
Sean If your wife is in it when the alternator dies will she be the one walking.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »
Sean If your wife is in it when the alternator dies will she be the one walking.
...she will get quite upset if you ride the brakes while she is pushing uphill!

deknow

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 03:21:56 pm »
The minor repairs just never stop on this thing!  I don't want to start dumping money into the cool stuff like axle upgrades, lockers, lift kit, and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's until I get the thing dependable first.  Ugh.

I know exactly how you feel lol. You fix one thing and something else magically breaks in the process.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »
Sean,Load test that battery!! And be sure it is as large as what is called for. Check the reserve capacity required for that vehicle as the battery should give the boost needed when initial draw is placed on the system. Also,be sure your ground connections from the body to the battery or chassis are in good shape. they are just as important as the ground from the battery to engine block.
 happy Tinkering!!

Oh,and heres a great link for jeep wire diagrams if you ever need them:
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »
Hi Sean just wanted to let you know we have lots of good parts for those old wagners we use to play with them years ago and have lots of prestine parts in the shop we want to get rid of lots of interior stuff and  rears doors hoods you name it wed like to get rid of all of it if you or someone you know is interested  thanks  Chris

Offline Gord

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 12:15:59 am »
I had an 87 Waggy with a mint body.
I had the frame boxed and dropped in a 355 with tuned port and a 700R4.
Both were built ~ 400 hp with water injection. It was the most capable vehicle I've ever had, and made me laugh every time I drove it.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:59 am »
Hi Sean just wanted to let you know we have lots of good parts for those old wagners we use to play with them years ago and have lots of prestine parts in the shop we want to get rid of lots of interior stuff and  rears doors hoods you name it wed like to get rid of all of it if you or someone you know is interested  thanks  Chris

Hey Chris, me and the guys from my Full Size Jeep club are always keeping an eye out for parts for these things.  What do you got?

Sean Kelly

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 08:34:21 pm »
Give me a call we have all kinds of parts for them interior and exterior  we have an interior that came out of a wagner with 40k miles its perfect

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »
email me at maxwellsexcavating@gmail.com if interesting thanks Chris

anything