Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Refill to harvest (fastest time)  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
Refill to harvest (fastest time)
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:56:35 pm »
Hello All
I just took off some honey and was wondering what is the quickest time you have seen from refill to harvest again, thinking about moisture content ready. Bees are very active and bringing in lots of nectar.
Thanks for the opinions.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Refill to harvest (fastest time)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »
Two years ago, I had a large hive that filled and capped a medium 10 frame super in two weeks.  That hive produced 10 gal of honey that year.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:34 pm »
I have extracted a 10 frame deep, returned it to the hive, then extracted it again in 10 days. Yes, it was fully capped both times.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:46 pm »
I've seen ten days from extraction to a capped full deep with a strong hive, even had a deep that was 10 frames of fresh foundation get drawn out, filled and capped in two weeks. They can move a lot of necture during a flow.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
Not trying to take the post but. Iddee have you ever harvested the purple honey up there in NC. . I had some about forty years ago and wondering. What nectures produce it. Had a grape cotton candy taste if I remember correctly.

John

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »
I haven't, but friends have. It comes from the sandhills southeast of me. No one has pinpointed it's origin yet.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cpekarek

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:29 pm »
I heard purple honey came from elderberries.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:14 pm »
I haven't, but friends have. It comes from the sandhills southeast of me. No one has pinpointed it's origin yet.

I heard it had cotton, sourwood, and something else? But then I heard that it had something else entirely different. Was wanting to find out. I know it expensive . last I heard around 125 quart.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:57 pm »
They think it comes from different plants, but only when certain minerals are in the ground where they grow. No one knows for sure, since they can't repeat it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:30 pm »
They had a similar situation down in Orlando a few years ago. Turned out the bees were getting into snow cone syrup.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:30:42 pm »
Small with the m&m factory in France. No but it is only in 50 mile radius of Fayetteville NC. They get it speraticly for over 100 years. So probly not a unnatural factor involved. But I do remember what it tasted like all those years ago.

John

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 09:16:14 am »
Turned out the bees were getting into snow cone syrup.
Jim

If it were a natural source I don't think it would be a nectar source.  I'm thinking it might be a berry source where birds have broken the skin of fruit and the bees go after the sugar that is left.  Maybe in a dearth so the conditions would have to be right for it to happen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 09:34:16 am »
Mods, can we get this topic split? It is a good topic, but has hijacked this thread. A split is in order.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:43 am »
Kudzu honey is purple...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
My apologies to the original posterfor highjacking the thread. I should have started a new thread but was trying to catch iddee on when I saw him. I'v had boxes refilled in little as four days. Been long time ago. Now adays the fastest i'v had it has been about eight to twelve days on a great flow. Flows have bee ficuld pass few years so if just pulled at end of flows.

John