Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making Wooden Ware  (Read 10143 times)

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
Re: Making Wooden Ware
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »
No plans to sell at this point. Check out hot wax dipping on YouTube. Dipping individual parts would be to much handling, glue would not adhere during assembly. Note all hive componets will be dipped; bottom board, ventilator & cover. I am going to assemble via biscuit joinery this go around.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
No plans to sell at this point. Check out hot wax dipping on YouTube. Dipping individual parts would be to much handling, glue would not adhere during assembly. Note all hive componets will be dipped; bottom board, ventilator & cover. I am going to assemble via biscuit joinery this go around.

based off of the video i watched i see a lot of emergency room visits and disfigured beekeepers in the future.  if i didn't want to paint my hives i'd either go with an oil finish or no finish at all before i'd do that.  for now i'll stick with good old latex paint.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
so you are using a pocket jig. Are you just butting up the ends or are you cutting them on a 45 degree angle and then screwing them? I might go that same route...
Straight butt with glue and holds tight. Real impressed and at the price I can build them I can't complain.
Blanc

Blanc, I bought the Kreg and have been toying around with using it to join the boxes with it. Are you cutting the pockets on the inside or the outside of the box. From what I see it will work either way. Currently, I'm making my wooden ware from scrap crates I recycle from my job. My company is one of the nations biggest recyclers and they are more then happy to give me all I want.
Later,
Ray

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 12:45:36 am »
I cut my long boards 19 1/8 inches long.
I cut my short boards 16 1/4 inches long.
I cut a 3/4 inch rabbet 3/8 deep in the board.
It makes a box 19 7/8 inches long by 16 1/4 wide and however deep you need the boxes.
For the handles I use a 1 1/2 x 3 inch cup wheel (it has carbide steel tips) using my drill press to cut the handles.
The wheel is actually designed to buff tires.
It's the safest way I've seen to make the handles.
I have a jig I clamp to the drill press table and just insert my boards and make a couple of swipes on the wheel,
A perfect handle everytime.
I glue the rabbets and brad nail it together.
I use a tri-square inside the box in opposite corners to square it up.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Moots

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
I cut my long boards 19 1/8 inches long.
I cut my short boards 16 1/4 inches long.
I cut a 3/4 inch rabbet 3/8 deep in the board.
It makes a box 19 7/8 inches long by 16 1/4 wide and however deep you need the boxes.
For the handles I use a 1 1/2 x 3 inch cup wheel (it has carbide steel tips) using my drill press to cut the handles.
The wheel is actually designed to buff tires.
It's the safest way I've seen to make the handles.
I have a jig I clamp to the drill press table and just insert my boards and make a couple of swipes on the wheel,
A perfect handle everytime.
I glue the rabbets and brad nail it together.
I use a tri-square inside the box in opposite corners to square it up.

My approach is very similar to Capt.'s, with a few small differences...
 - My short boards are 13 3/4" b/c I do 8 frame equipment (I do the single 3/4" rabbet, 3/8ths deep on those)
 - I glue with Titebond III and shoot with six or seven 1 1/4" staples on each corner.
 - I use the radial arm saw and a jig to do my hand holds, as described in the Beekeepers Workshop

I've seen a video on the method capt describes for his handholds, it does a VERY nice job....I just don't have convenient access to a drill press, plus I didn't have the bit, nor the patience to wait for it to come in when I was in box building mold.  However, I'm pleased with the results of my hand holds.

Concerning the OP, out of curiosity I decided to compare price from my local Lowe's and Home Depot, as well as a local lumber yard.  On 1x8x8's and 1x12x8's Lowe's and Home Depot have the identical price...to the Penny!  Coincidence?  I think not!  :-D

Lowe's and Home Depot 1x8x8 $8.47
described by Lowe's as Kiln dried whiteboard and by Home Depot as #2 Kiln dried Whiteboard or better.
#2 Pine from my local Mom and Pop Lumber yard: 1x8x8 $3.80

Lowe's and Home Depot 1x12x8 (same descriptions) $14.18
Local Mom and Pop....No #2, only #3 1x12x8 $6.76

Wow! That's quite a difference....wonder how the quality varies? Might be worth exploring.  Has anyone used the #3 to make boxes?

anything