Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Treatment times  (Read 4711 times)

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
Treatment times
« on: August 03, 2005, 03:42:26 am »
Could someone help me with the approx. dates to do my fall treating.  Is it to early or am I behind?
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Treatment times
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:18:01 am »
We're coming on time for it.  If you've pulled your honey for the year, then you can do it now. Down there, I wouldn't wait past end of September. We're doing it now in Massachusetts.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Treatment times
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:32:08 am »
Oxalic acid solution will be gived when all brood has emerged in late autumn and bees are in winterball.  It takes 20 seconds when you give solution on bees neck. Result will be good.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Treatment times
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:08:52 am »
All treatments are best done when brood rearing has stopped, unless they are already in dire circumstances and it's a emergency treatment.  The strips need to be done pretty much as SOON as this occurs so you can get them back out on time before winter sets in.

Of all the treatments I've tried, (besides using natural cell and not treating at all) I've found the oxalic acid vapor the most effective and least detrimental.  I have not tried trickling the oxalic acid.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MUHAMMAD JEHAN ZEB

• New Bee
oxalyic acide for the treatment of mites.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 09:05:38 am »
dear Michael Bush,
                                   many greetinges and best wihes for you and your family, i am a honey b keeper and wish to know the very detail of preparing the mixture of oxalyic acid,its concentration,application and precaution measures.hoping for the good responce.
best regard,
muhammad jehan zeb.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Treatment times
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 01:15:36 pm »
>wish to know the very detail of preparing the mixture of oxalyic acid

I buy it at the local hardware stores as "wood bleach".  I vaporize it and it requires no mixing at all.

>its concentration

The amount I use is about 1.5 grams for three medium boxes (or two deep boxes if you use deeps).

>application

I have a simple "L" shaped evaporator made of brass pipe that has a cap on one end where I put in the oxalic and screw it on and the other end fits in a hole in an old shallow super.  I put the super on top and the lid on top of that and use a propane torch to vaporize the oxalic acid.   You can also buy an evaporator:

http://members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

>precaution measures

DON'T BREATH IT THE VAPOR!  That's the main precaution.  I always have a smoker lit so I can see which way the smoke drifts and I make sure I'm standing up wind.

If you do inhale it it burns and makes you cough a lot.  You probably won't make the same mistake again. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline MUHAMMAD JEHAN ZEB

• New Bee
oxalyic acide for the treatment of mites.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 06:01:01 pm »
:? MY DEAR,
                HERE IN CHEMICAL STORE IT IS AVAILABLE IN POWER FARM
THERE FORE I AM IN NEAD FUL DETAIL HOW IT SHALL BE PRPARED TO USE.HOW MUCH QUANTITY PER COLONEYONCE OR TWICE.PLEASE HELP AND GAUIDE.
BEST REGARD MUHAMMAD JEHAN ZEB.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Treatment times
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 08:30:51 pm »
Powder is the correct form.  Use it just like that.  Here's a pretty good description of how to do it:

http://bwrangler.madpage.com/bee/goxa.htm

I used the vent evaporator and I ran it in the top.  I don't think it really matters that much but holding the torch to eveaporate it is difficult on the bottom and if the wind shifts it's harder to move away from the vapors.
-------------------