Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cell cup?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
Queen cell cup?
« on: June 26, 2011, 12:57:09 am »
I was doing inspection today on my 7 week old hive and took photos.  I remember seeing this one and it appeared to be a queen cell cup. I'm I correct? I left it but right now I'm resisting the urge to remove it tomorrow. (As you can see, I spotted the beloved queen  :shock: 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:50:17 am by sweet new-bee »
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queen cell cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:52:02 am »
Do I see capped queen cell hanging downwards?

If it is so. You are hurry to make false swarm to avoid swarming.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:49 am »
Well Finski, what if there is only one?  You wouldn't do a false swarm then.  It appears to be at the top of the frame, so it is more likely to be a supersedure cell.  In any case, I would not destroy it, and I would only do a false swarm if you have lots of bees and several capped queen cells so you can have at least one in each part of the split.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:36:39 am »
I've had a second medium on the hive for 3 weeks. It has very very little drawn comb which they have stored honey in. If they were too overcrowed, wouldn't they have moved up to the top by now? To anwer Finski's quesion: Think there were two or three others on the frame also (not shown in pic)

~Angie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:19:13 pm by sweet new-bee »
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:38:23 am »
Well Finski, what if there is only one?  You wouldn't do a false swarm then.  It appears to be at the top of the frame, so it is more likely to be a supersedure cell.  In any case, I would not destroy it, and I would only do a false swarm if you have lots of bees and several capped queen cells so you can have at least one in each part of the split.

Frameshift, What is a supercedure cell? I thought it was to replace a weak queen. This one looked to be doing a great job. I had one frame front and back that was filled with capped brood from corner to corner.

~Angie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:29:47 am by sweet new-bee »

~Erma Bombeck

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »
I've had a second medium on the hive for 3 weeks. It has very very little drawn comb which they have stored honey in. If they were too overcrowed, wouldn't they have moved up to the top by now? To anwer Finski's quesion: Think there were two or three others on the frame also (not shown in pic)

~Angie

Neither number of supers on a hive nor the amount of undrawn combs matters when it comes to either superceding a queen or swarming.  The length of the cell in the 1st picture would indicate that it is no longer a queen cup but a qeen cell whether capped or not.  Supercedure cells are usually numbered between 1-6 midway up the frame (middle of normal brood area) but can be a dozen or more in some cases.   The more supercedure cells present the greater the probability of a swarm issuing as well. 

There is more than one way in which a hive can find itself crowded:
1. Too many bees for the given space.
2. Not enough brood cell space (honeybound) in which the queen can lay eggs.
3. A preceived barrier the bees won't cross:  Queen excluder, too much frame space between boxes, A super added too early before there's enough bees to occupy the current space, or A frame the bees refuse to draw out for once reason or another.

What the beekeeper sees in a queen is her physical condition and her egg laying pattern.  There is much more that matter to the bees such as phenomone output, egg production vitality (ie number of eggs per hour), number of drones she mated with (part of the phenmone output), overall health, deformaties (too small for the human eye to see), as well as several other factors.

Queens reared in hives that are at or near being constantly medicated or treated for various ailments, pests, paracites, or imagined conditions (sometimes mandated by governmental regulations) are much more prone to being superceded.  This appears to be the trend by reports I've gotten from beekeepers I know (including myself) and items posted on this forum.

Remeber that bees will only occupy the number of frames in a hive where the population can physically cover every sqaure inch of space.  If there are not enough bee population to force them to move to an adjcent frame or super they will not do so, and they will not draw out combs on the unoccupied frames regardless of how much the are fed or they forage for.  Instead they will back fill the brood area creating a honeybound condition that will cause them to swarm from being too crowded for the space they do occupy.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything