Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flower ID please  (Read 4068 times)

Offline hazmat

• New Bee
Flower ID please
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »
I'm in central Oklahoma and can't figure out what flower this is for the life of me.

The blooms appears to be similar to a Monarda Fitulosa (Wild Bergamot or Bee balm), but the bean-pod looking things coming from underneath the bloom are strange, and the leaf pattern is definitely not M. Fitulosa.

There was a row of these plants (wild setting) about 40 yards long and the individual plants were around head height (some shorter, some way taller).

The bees were really working them hard along with a host of other insects (Big moths, butterflies, bumbles).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT:  Apparently the photos didn't post.  I do not have enough posts in the forum to put up a link.  Thanks anyway

Also, those of us overseas cannot see pictures that are not inlaid into the forum.  Image hosting websites are strictly blocked on military domains, so when people use links to photo servers in their posts like Flickr and Imageshack, all we see is a warning message like "Content blocked: Photos/File sharing/Forums".  So much for all those beautiful bee pic threads...

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Flower ID please
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »
you don't have enough posts to post pics yet.  it's a security thing so that we don't get stuff thrown up here by strange  people  :-)

you can ask a moderator to post your pic.  we will be happy to look at them.

the military has cracked down on a bunch of stuff.  thumb drives, pictures, etc.  guess they got tired of cleaning up viruses.  of course, if they had better security programs....i always figured they either use Microsoft or the lowest bidder for every program to use or put out for use.  by the time the bugs are out of it, it's time for a new program...   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hazmat

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »
I understand.

Yes they have.  I am an InfoSec guy myself and I understand, but it is still a disappointment.  One of the only outlets we have is internet, so while we have all become very fond of forums, they lack more and more visual stimulus all the time.  It really makes they day (if not the week) when we dig up a picture on an old thread...it's the little things I guess... :)

If you could post them, the URLs are at:

img816.imageshack.us/i/img00142.jpg

img517.imageshack.us/i/img00172f.jpg

Thanks

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »
i'll forward this to a moderator so that i am sure they see it.  you can also contact them directly.

when you are in your profile again, list your location.  it helps with the answering of future questions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hazmat

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »
Thank you.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »
I can not seem to make these images work.
Hazmat,if you could pm me the complete link I would be glad to post them for you.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:45 am »
you don't have enough posts to post pics yet.  it's a security thing so that we don't get stuff thrown up here by strange  people  :-)

And you guys let me in?  ;)