Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 11786 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 01:23:51 pm »
Web sites aren't always up to date, many people tell me they looked in the phone book.

...JP

?  Phone books get updated once a year.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »
Web sites aren't always up to date, many people tell me they looked in the phone book.

...JP

I agree.

I'll bet more home owners pick up the phone book when they need an exterminator, than sit looking through sites.

As for being updated, I bet the phone book also has more phone numbers and info that are still working, as it seems that if your paying for a phone book advertisement, your probably more than a fly by night operation.

It's ok to admit you still use the phone book. Your not a doofus. It is ok not to buy into thinking the whole world goes online for everything. You may not get to play the "kewl" and consider yourself a hipster, but it reality.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 03:39:43 pm »
People are moving away from print media.  It's just a fact.  The Rocky Mountain News is the latest casualty of this reality.  One of our local newspapers is heading down this same path.  Also with broadband saturation in a few short years it won't be long before wired analog telephone service to your home, along with the paper brick that gets dropped on your front step every year will be a memory.  They just won't be able to compete with Voice over IP on a countrywide scale.

I am not sure one can generalize that just because somebody has a phone book ad, they are more reputable than someone with a website.  And I by no means am saying that people who use the phone book are idiots and should get with the program.  What I am saying is when the option to quickly and easily search a phone database and to print out directions, hours of operation, etc. becomes more convenient than finding a phone book and then trying to figure out what category the business they are seeking is in, they will throw away the phone book. 

Times are a changin...while many brick and mortar businesses are stagnant, internet sales continue to increase.  More businesses than ever the next few years will transition to online only to cut overhead and increase sales.  One of those fancy trinket stores in the malls, I think it's Sharper Image, closed all its stores and sells online only and its bottom line has increased.  I know that's off topic, but my point is the internet is growing fast and is creating huge advantage for those who leverage it.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 03:47:12 pm »
For as long as we had cable television...want to guess how many people have cable? Less than 50% of the population. Hard to believe, but true. I know whole segments of society that will never be "connected" or pay for cable.

As for newsprint....much of that also has nothing to do with the internet. I for one, cancelled my subscription to the local leftist trash rag, due to reasons other than because I can read the same garbage on line. When it stopped being news, and became nothing but agendas, I stopped paying. As many others did also. Just something to think about.... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »
That's funny...I canceled mine because it was this whacko right wing fascist rag! :shock:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »
That's funny...I canceled mine because it was this whacko right wing fascist rag! :shock:

You mean there is still right wing media out there?

Here in Seattle the Post Intelligencer will either be sold or convert to webpage only as of March 1.  That leaves us with the Seattle Times as the major regional newspaper.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:18 pm »

...JP

?  Phone books get updated once a year.

True, but there are websites that haven't been updated in yrs or the link is dead and what Bjornbee said.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 09:17:49 am »

You mean there is still right wing media out there?

Here in Seattle the Post Intelligencer will either be sold or convert to webpage only as of March 1.  That leaves us with the Seattle Times as the major regional newspaper.

No, just being a little contrary I guess... :-D

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:58 am »
I use the online phone book.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 04:59:39 pm »
I use the online phone book.

You should go into politics.... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »
I use my phone book to light my bee smoker.  Works great!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:18 pm »
I use my phone book to light my bee smoker.  Works great!

Sean Kelly

I use a lighter or matches to light my bee smoker. So what do you actually burn.... :?

You >>>>    :buttkick:   <<<<< me     :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 05:51:41 pm »
Bwaa, ha, ha, funnneeee Bjornbee.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 09:22:26 pm »
We are lucky in this area to have a well known and respected honey packager and retail store that people call about many bee (and wasp) :? problems. They in turn refer them to those of us who like to impress mere mortals with our ability to get thousands of often angry stinging bugs into small enclosures and take them away.
Often it is in plain ignorance that they are destroyed or possibly in some cases it is for convenience or monetary reasons. If most people knew there was a way to save a beneficial creature I am certain they would use it. There are just not a lot of easy avenues to locate beeks since most of us do not advertise.
Of course there are some just plain mean jerks who like to kill things and it would not matter if a better remedy was close at hand. Some things never change.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."