Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: heating honey  (Read 3607 times)

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
heating honey
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:00:24 am »
Anybody ever try heating 5 gallon pails of honey with farm style pail heaters? Did it/will it work?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: heating honey
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:33:38 am »
 yes they work --these are set at a max of 110 deg so it is prety forgiving on a soilid bucket -about 12 hours--RDY-B

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=mannlake&sType=1&Search=pail+heater#!HD-358/0/

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:36:28 pm »
Actually I was thinking of the submersible type or the heating element that that sits under the pail type. Much cheaper.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »
Actually I was thinking of the submersible type or the heating element that that sits under the pail type. Much cheaper.
if your asking about heating water that a bucket of honey sets in yes it works and there are different approaches
 from dadant and kelley-sounds like you are going to design your own system --RDY-B

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:22 am »
I ended up ordering a strap type pail heater from brushy mountain for $105. Should last for years and years. Anytime I've tried to save money and make my own I end up spending the same money, lots of time and it doesn't work as well.......then I buy what I should have in the first place so I'm really out twice as much plus my time. For once I said screw it and just paid the money.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:45:22 am »
A waterbed heater on ebay goes for about 10.00 and will work better than the strap

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »
A waterbed heater on ebay goes for about 10.00 and will work better than the strap

Keep in mind that a water bed heater is designed to be in full contact with the bottom side of the water mattress. My waterbed warns not to plug it in until the mattress has been filled. It gets to hot without the water to dissipate the heat.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:12 pm »

Keep in mind that a water bed heater is designed to be in full contact with the bottom side of the water mattress. My waterbed warns not to plug it in until the mattress has been filled. It gets to hot without the water to dissipate the heat.
Jim
Mine says the same thing and also says its could be a choking hazard and not for internal use.  Sorry Jim couldn't resist!   I have one that I've been using since 2007.   It only gets as hot as the therm is set for.  I also use mine for brewing a couple of beers that require alittle higher temp for fermentation

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »
I liked tefers heater link.  I do fear that beeks will be hoarding all the incandescent light bulbs though.  It would also be wise to wire that baby into a GFCI circuit.  Liquids and electricity is not the most fail proof of systems  :)

Anytime I've tried to save money and make my own I end up spending the same money, lots of time and it doesn't work as well.......then I buy what I should have in the first place so I'm really out twice as much plus my time. For once I said screw it and just paid the money.
LOL, isn’t this the TRUTH!!!  I can’t even count how many times I’ve wasted time and money re-inventing the wheel.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
an old chest type freezer works very well with the 100 watt bulb and a digital thermostat.
been using mine for 4 years.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
I have an old but good refridgerator and we use it to keep garden produce in. When its empty I put a 40 watt bulb in the bottom. It will decristalize  buckets of honey in 24 to 48 hours. Works good.