Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Intro, and question  (Read 1685 times)

Offline LindaS

• Brood
Intro, and question
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »
I am a clueless newbie, but the household here (SE Michigan) has been very interested in providing a place for a hive here in the (large) yard for a number of years. 

My apologies in advance for the flavor of this post....  I know that there are much more efficient and practical ways to provide hive space.  But one of the housemates (who actually owns the property) would really like to have an old-fashioned British-style bee skiff.  We have been unable to find out *anything* about the actual construction of such a thing, other than the pictures of the woven outside basket-dome.  That part's easy. 

Does anyone know anything about the internal construction *under* the basket-dome that needs to be there to facilitate bees?  What little I have been able to find out is that the  dome is shading an understructure, and that the dome is elevated,  and that the entrance is close to the ground. 

Does anyone know anything else about how this old technology was actually put together?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Intro, and question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »
if you put your location in your profile we'll be able to give you a better answer. 

most places that have regulations on beekeeping require that you have removable frames.  even so, you probably could get away with it if you were only talking about one.  the reasons they have fallen out of favor are that you can not harvest without destroying the hive, and the size is limited so swarming is almost guaranteed. 

as an alternative, you might consider one of the old fashioned looking garden hives, or a top bar that can be designed to blend in and can be as big or small as you need it to be.  there are quite a few top bar beekeepers on here that could help you out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:07:49 am »
Kathy is correct about the regulatory aspect and the fact that you could most likely squeeze by for a while albeit it could be illegal, not that anyone here is proposing you break any local laws.

As for destroying the hive yes, but an experienced beekeeper could save the colony by doing a cut out.

I would recommend y'all consider a top bar hive as well or even two, as two colonies are the best way to go. With two colonies if one is having issues, you could bolster its needs with resources from the other colony.

Best wishes and much success in your beekeeping endeavors!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
Linda, welcome to our forum, that is wonderful that you have found us, do have that great, most awesome day, with health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service