Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is Fly Fishing at a U-Fish cheating?  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Is Fly Fishing at a U-Fish cheating?
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:16 pm »
Took my 3 year old daughter Grace fishing for the very first time to a U-Fish down the road.  They've got three ponds set up, one for the kids, another for a little more challenge, and the third for advanced fishing (monster rainbow trout).
After my little girl caught her first couple fish with her new pink Barbie Shakespear fishing pole and was content playing in the grass, daddy broke out his Fly Rod!!!

I felt like I was cheating.  I never have this kind of luck out on the river, but I was nailing HUGE trout every other cast out on the "Advanced" pond.  There had been a family sitting on the bank with their lines in the pond all afternoon with no luck and I knocked out 4 huge pigs in 30 minutes!  I just knew what kind of bugs were coming out in our area at that time and picked a fly that matched.  Plus with polarized lenses I could see where the school was and casted in that direction.  But I still felt like I was cheating.  That family got mad and moved to the other pond thinking I took all the good fish.

I did find out that getting the "big ones" at a U-Fish isn't always a good thing and ended up spending $50 to take these fish home.  But my little girl had a blast and that was the whole point.  Got a cute pic of Grace holding her new pole I'll post at the end here.

Any other fly fishers here?

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Is Fly Fishing at a U-Fish cheating?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:40:40 pm »
And a good time was had by all!  Gracie is a doll! Did she like the fish?  Did you guys cook em for dinner?  The UFish places are the best for kids 1st time, they lose interest if they have to sit for hours & not get anything!  Is that one still up in Wilkeson?  I heard they lost a ton when the logging was too close to the creek & silt got in the rearing ponds, this was quite a few years ago though.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:17 pm »
Love flyfishing, not much can beat it! 

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48:58 pm »
Sure its cheating , but you had fun, so what the heck, your wallets a little less heavy, but you could do that in an afternoon at the flyshop, heck a line and a couple tippet can do that much damage, even the scientific brand stuff. You got to spend some time with your daughter fishing, nothing  can beat that.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:29 am »
You bet that is cheating that is why you felt that way. I love to fish, I fish the Provo river, upper and lower and also the Green River any chance I get. There are few things in life that rival being on the river on a good sunny day drowning flies. Except doing it with your kids. My son and daugther are just getting old enough to take to the river. Should be a good summer.
There are a couple of stocked ponds in my neck of the woods that we sneak into just to hone our catch and release skills. So I am right there with you brother. We will both go to hell for cheating, but satan has assured me that the ponds in hell are very well stocked :evil: :evil:
Your little girl is a doll. I bet you guys had a blast. My little 4 yr old is a pistol......
If you are ever down this way, I can show you some fishing that will rival anything around. We have some beautiful blue ribbon streams this way.
Look forward to showing you around if you get the chance.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:47:11 am »
Jeff, this is a totally random question, but that pic of your fish and rod on the cooler (the second one?), are those shoes you're wearin Airwalks?  I think I have those exact same shoes!  As a matter of fact, I'm wearing them right now! Weird...

Back to fly fishin...

Yeah I thought I was cheatin, but it felt like really good practice.  I didn't get to go fishing last year or the year before and I was a little rusty at my casting.  But after a while I was able to shoot right where I aimed.  Let that fly sink a little and give her a little twitch every now and then right in front of a couple biggins and as soon as I see that hog come risin up to it, POW  set that hook!  Where else can you nail 4 HUGE rainbow trout in 30 minutes like that.  Unfortunately they do not allow catch and release otherwise I'd still be there 28 hours later.

Jody, we still haven't cooked our fish.  I froze them since my grandmother has been cooking us dinner every night since we came home from the hospital.  Hopefully I'll get to chow them down Friday.

MustbeeNuts, you're so right.  The flyshop is an evil place.  I'm not allowed to go unsupervised.  That's why Scientific is my friend.  All my fly stuff is low end poor person gear.  But you know what, I can still catch fish with it just as good as the next guy.
I love to drool over the Fly catalog from Cabelas, it's like a Sears Christmas catalog for fly-nerds.  They actually just put up a brand new Cabelas just 45 minutes from my house but I've been avoiding it cause I love my wife and want to stay married.

Frantz, you're in Utah?  Never fished there but when I drove long haul I went through Salt Lake many times.  Actually killed a whitetail with my Volvo Semi when it was 20 degrees below zero and busted my truck up pretty bad.
I think it would be really cool to hook up sometime and check out some of those streams!  With the new baby last week, I've totally used up my vacation but maybe sometime down the road.

Dreaming of flys,

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:48:23 am »
Oh man, I haven't been fly fishing in ages!  I used to love it!  When I was young, I used to sit over this one culvert and float my fly down inside the culvert... got one every time.

As far as fly fishing being cheating goes... it is and it isn't... it's technically harder to flyfish than to baitfish, so in that reguard, no it isn't cheating.  But I've been to some of those U-fish places and they say only real bait is permitted (I think because they want to keep the fish conditioned to strike at food instead of being wary of it).  I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

A day of fun with your daughter is well worth the $50 by the way.  In 10 years, you'll be willing to pay $500 for that... and you will spend $500 for a day of her fun, the only difference is she'll be at the mall and you won't be there.   :-D  Enjoy the time you can spend with her while you can.  They grow up fast.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:37 am »
Sean, I'm not sure what type of shoes they are or if I even still have them, got 'em a million yrs ago, BTW, that redfish took 45 minutes to land, he's a big one.

Who cares if it was cheating or not, you and your daughter had a great time and you went home with some viddles. ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »
Fly fishing is nevr cheating. Using bait is. You were Cheataing b/c you were at a fish farm, not b/c you were fly fishing. Look at it like practice. Love to fly fish. Tie flies occassionally too. Nothing beats a rising trout, or the explosive attack of saltwater blue fish !!!!! Amazing fighters.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:06:35 pm »
Yeah, that's what I kept telling myself, that it was just practice.  lol

I'm just learning how to tie my own flies.  It seems like a really neat hobby within a hobby.

Sean Kelly

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:02:37 am »
Sean, Dude you have got to get rid of that avatar. I feel all funny inside looking at that thing. Like I should repent or something. Where on earth did you find that???
I do hope that you make it down here sometime. It would be a blast to drown a fly with you on one of these rivers.
If you ever get a chance check out www.upstreamimages.com Mike is a buddy of mine from college. We used to sit around and come up with these one liners for him to draw and make stickers out of. Now the bum makes a living out of it. Most of the stuff he has there is from us sitting around just making stuff up.
You will get a kick out of some of them for sure.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:48 am »
So I am right there with you brother. We will both go to hell for cheating, but satan has assured me that the ponds in hell are very well stocked

Yeah, with carp and round gobies!!! (or insert your local trash fish).
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:44 am »
So I am right there with you brother. We will both go to hell for cheating, but satan has assured me that the ponds in hell are very well stocked

Slimy eels and hardhead catfish.

...JP

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:22:13 am »

Trash fish?  No such thing.  They all make great garden fetilizer!   :-D

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 09:09:05 am »
Hey Sean,
 Look up "Janns Net Craft"..I dont make flies, but I do use Netcraft for excellent prices on components which I do use for my spoons and rattler type lures I make. They have a good supply of fly fishing stuff, especially what you need to make flies with!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:05 am »
We took a guy fishing once, we were catching hardhead catfish, you know trash fish. We were throwing them back and the dude says hey, why y'all throwing them back, those are sandwhich size fish!!! :-D

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:36 pm »
 Hey Sean!

I think your avatar is HOT!!!
your friend,
john

anything