Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raccoons UGHHHH  (Read 13125 times)

Offline mcgerten

• New Bee
Raccoons UGHHHH
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:16:36 pm »
I have had a raccoon kill half of my chickens (8 out of 15)  :'( and I have taken care of that problem, I think, now I am worried about the raccoons going after my hives. I have 2 hives about 30 feet from the woods. What would be the best way to deal with them or keep them from my hives? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cheryl

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
Re: Raccoons UGHHHH
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:18:29 pm »
.223 or .243 will turn the Coon inside out, then you could wear it as a hat.  :mrgreen:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:23:13 pm »
i have mine strapped down to RR ties.  so far, they have not bothered, which is fortunate because i forget to put the straps back on.  shoot them or trap them a drop them in the stock tank....but new ones tend to take their place :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »
electric fence

Johnny

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »
Boil until semi-tender. Then bake with corn bread stuffing and sweet potatoes.
Add a bit of sage and liquid smoke when boiling.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:53:13 pm »
So far you havent had a problem with them.  Maybe you wont.  But I admit I also have a paranoia about them as well, thats why I put 2 bricks on top of my cover.  I also put old tomatoe cages around my hive so they cant have easy access to them.  So far no problem, so far no honey either, well I mean its only just beginning to build.  But I think enough weight on top will keep them out when they get around to splurging their urges.
-pc

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »
Raccoons are very clever, and very persistent.

Yes, a .223 or a bit larger (personally, I'd use a .223 or a 357 magnum rifle - google marlin lever action, it's a very cool rifle, very accurate) will end the issue, for *that* raccoon.

Electric fence will solve all manner of problems, is cheaper, and you don't have to sit and wait for them to come to the hive.  They came after the chickens, it's just a matter of time.

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56:22 pm »
If you have access to a live trap put a raw egg in the back of the cage and the raccoons will get caught they just can't seem to resist eggs. Then if the game laws allow relocate them some where else a long way away or they will come back. If the law does not allow relocation a 22 in the head will do the job. If that is to messy for you drop the cage in some water deep enough to drown and walk away for a couple of minutes this will dispatch the animal and no blood after that you can dress it out and eat it as they do make good table fare or bury it your choice. But do make sure of the game laws. Most states have some sort of nuisance laws that allow the land owner to get rid of nusaince animals but be sure because the fine could be very stiff if your found out.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:25:27 pm »
Honey buns are excellent for bait in a live trap.  Tear 1/4 of honey bun and mash it in the screen on the bottom of the trap so it sticks through the mesh.  Under the trigger of the trap is best.  They can't resist.  Wouldn't want them to get addicted to honey though.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:35:02 pm »
[youtube]fJFlm6YxMkc[/youtube]

I saw this on the Detroit News website... :lol:  this is the only copy on youtube I could find (plz ignore the political title the poster placed ~ not mentioned in the actual vid/news story).

I'd be inclined to give it a dose of vitamin 5.56 as well, though I suspect even 22LR would be sufficient (either well-placed or repeated, lol).  My fencing and dog keep all the coons out, fortunately.  Anyone with a dog still have coon probs?

Cheers,
Dane

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
When I was a youngster, we had as many as 14 coons in the backyard at a time.  Fish and Game said don't get a dog, they'll kill it, esp if it's tied up.

We live-trapped for two years and took them to F&G, who released the healthy ones 100 miles away.

Never made a dent.  Lot's of work.  Be very careful handling a very angry-off coon.

A BB pistol was actually more effective - we had a CO2 that would pump them out as fast as you could pull the trigger.  Only takes one shot on the nose or foot to make them leave.... for a couple of days.

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline BRIANCJ

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »
Live trap baited with a cheap can of sardines works great.Don't open the can,just punch holes with a churchkey or large nail,etc.They can't resist the bait and you'll reuse the sardine can many times before you replace it.
Dispense with the 'coon as you see fit.Just remember nature hates a vacuum and this will be a never ending process.If it's not a 'coon then it's a Opossum or the neighbor's cat....

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »
I have heard of nailing the strips of wood with carpet tacks sticking up (that hold your carpet next to your walls) at the entrance of the hive.  The tacks scratch the coons arms as they try to reach into the hive and the coon eventually gives up.  This assumes that the coon will not be able to knock the hive over and can't get in through the top.  I would strap or screw down the top and give this a try.  Otherwise I would kill anything that finds it way into my trap, and I would keep killing as long as my trap keeps working.

Oh yeah the electric fence would work too.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:38 am »
That was hysterical Dane.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 01:07:56 am »
You might want to keep the raccoons around.  They are efficient ratters, far better than owls for controlling them, and I'd rather have to strap down a hive than fish a live or dead rat out of it  :-\

Just my 2 cents worth,

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:31:48 pm »
So far I have not had raccoons mess with my hives. However, I have had issues with my chickens too.  A few loud chinese geese will keep them out of your chickens. Some people call them weeder geese. They are big white with a knob on their beaks.  I keep 4 in with my hens. They won't bother your chickens & will keep everything out...even small dogs or childeren!

As for your coon population...keep a live trap or two set at all times.  Marshmallows work great!  We rountinely catch a raccoon or two here every week or so.  If you plan to release them make sure you take them at least 3-5 miles away, or they will find their way back...

Once a coon finds a food supply, they will come back until you do something about it...bad news for your chickens.  :'(
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:56 pm »
About every morning I seen 'coon tracks on my hives....muddy foot prints that look much like hands. I tried to kill them off and trap them in live traps, still had the same problems! There are just too many of them to get rid of them all.

I used some 'bait hives'; old hive bodies that are not good for nothing and should be burned....I baited them with sweets and marshmallows! Then I placed some mouse and rat traps inside....with the bait holder next to the hive entrance....you place the bait hives all around the hives with bees. The 'coons reach into the large open bait hives and get whacked good! They usually learn in about two nights....but new 'coons come into the area and they soon learn too. You have to remember to rebait them.

This also works for rabbit pens and chicken coops...the coons learn not to touch! Thus, the coons can go on their way and your property is left alone too.

I did catch a cat once that was sticking his paws into one of the hives....he was a young tom cat and had been feral before the trap got him. I released him, he got tame....and I named him 'Trapper'....best mouser I had in a long time.

The traps in the bait hives also get rid of mice!

Brenda

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »
I have caught my fair share of coons in the last few years.  They like to mess up my garden but have not bothered my hives.  I almost put a e-fence in since they were causing so much rucus in my garden but got put off by that just due to the difficultly of installin my backyard situation. 

I was having marginal success until I found out about marshmellows.  After catching 4-5 in one week, I have not had a problem.  They can't resist the marshmellows.  Be sure to reinforce the trap and stake it down.  I have lost a few since they are smart enough to turn the trap over and strong enough to bend some of the metal on these traps. 

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 05:56:47 pm »
[youtube]fJFlm6YxMkc[/youtube]

I saw this on the Detroit News website... :lol:  this is the only copy on youtube I could find (plz ignore the political title the poster placed ~ not mentioned in the actual vid/news story).

I'd be inclined to give it a dose of vitamin 5.56 as well, though I suspect even 22LR would be sufficient (either well-placed or repeated, lol).  My fencing and dog keep all the coons out, fortunately.  Anyone with a dog still have coon probs?

Cheers,
Dane

Dane
Thanks for posting this.  This made my day.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:58:35 pm »
Just this morning I let my bird dogs out (4:00 am).   It sounded like wwIII broke out.  My pointers had 5 coons "treed" on one of my hives.  Wearing only boxers and sandals armed with a .22 I solved the problem.  Felt like a redneck and it felt good!

anything